11. Blake's fallen in the stream again.

'Is Professor Malfoy back yet?' Minerva McGonagall asked as she idly inspected by the unlit campfire.

'No. He's not here,' he lied smoothly, hoping he had indeed left. There was a short uncomfortable silence so he said, 'Ron paid me a visit at lunchtime. The Aurors are treating Lucius's death as suspicious.'

'Indeed,' she nodded knowingly.

'I've provided an alibi for Professor Malfoy, and Andromeda likewise for Narcissa.'

'Narcissa?'

'She was staying at Hogglestane with Dromeda last night,' Harry answered the unspoken query.

'Conveniently so...' Minerva mused. 'So, Lucius was alone when he fell. You mentioned the stairs in your Patronus message earlier.'

Harry was fairly sure he hadn't given any details about why Lucius had been hospitalised. 'From the fourth floor onto the grand piano below,' he answered cautiously.

Minerva gave a thin smile and nodded slowly. 'Probably ruined a perfectly good piano,' she commented lightly. He waited as she pursed her lips. 'The world is a better place without him,' she said with surprising finality. 'He was a horrible man.'

Harry stayed silent, watching her survey the camp.

'And now?' she asked.

'Now what?' he remained cautious. Minerva was up to something and he didn't trust her when she was like this.

'Where are Professor Malfoy and Narcissa now?'

'Er,' he was puzzled. 'Well, I've sent an offer to Narcissa to stay with Andromeda as long as she wants, and I assume that Malf...'

'Ah, there he is!' she smiled as Malfoy appeared over the brow of the neighbouring hill. Harry was sure she muttered, 'must have got lost.' As Draco walked down towards them, she said, 'it's a surprisingly pleasant spot you've found here, Harry. Very tranquil and ... secluded.' She waited until Malfoy had reached them. 'Professor, my condolences. I believe we should probably have a discussion about compassionate leave.'

Harry thought that Malfoy looked shattered. He offered them both a seat and said he'd put the kettle on.

As the campfire wasn't yet lit, he pottered in the tent's kitchen, using the opportunity to freshen up and dress properly too. When he re-emerged with a cup of Earl Grey for Minerva and a mug of milky tea for Malfoy, it was just in time to hear Malfoy say, 'I'll go to the funeral for my mother's sake, but I don't need to take time off work.'

'Professor Potter,' Minerva snapped. 'Perhaps you can talk some sense into this stubborn man.'

Draco was too tired to perform his role, he knew he should be mustering the energy to sneer or curl his lip but the effort seemed insurmountable. He saw Potter narrow his eyes briefly.

'Minerva, the day I manage to talk some sense into Malfoy is the day Cornish Pixies become shoemakers.'

Draco had no idea what the idiotic man was referring to but he saw McGonagall nod with a small smile of amusement.

'Actually,' Potter continued. 'As deputy, I have to raise my concerns regarding the extra workload that you will be under...'

'The funeral is already pre-planned, it is always the way...'

'I was referring to your father's business ventures.'

'It's in hand. I'll meet with the apothecary business manager as appropriate after the funeral, we can decide a way forward in the summer unless it's an emergency, mother is taking on the magical artefacts trading company, the others, well, the accountant's already been instructed to close them.'