Chapter 4: Endeavour

I'm sick of being stuck in hospital already. I can move, I can talk, I can eat, I can see. I'm perfectly fine. I want to get back out, I need to show that I'm fine. Those villains haven't killed me. Japan is currently worried that their Number One has to retire after his first major fight since claiming his place at the top. Furthermore, their safety will be left in the hands of an idiot like Hawks. He's unambitious, despite speaking of giving heroes free time. He said it himself, he'd settle for a low spot in the hero rankings, as long as he gets to control whoever's on top. It's truly ridiculous.

He's 22, and Number Two. Not as impressive as me being at that point by age 20, of course, but an outstanding feat. He's the youngest hero to have ever reached top 10, and his popularity and abilities make him a good hero. I'm ashamed to admit it, but he could possibly take Number 1 from me if he really wanted to. But that's the problem with someone like him, he doesn't have ambition. He has no motivation, or will to come out on top. That's the difference between us. I aimed for the top, I was the only one actually trying to surpass All Might. He never wanted the top spot, which makes him unworthy of Number One.

I lay back, closing my eyes. I'm over thinking everything. Relaxing and letting other heroes keep Japan safe will speed up my recovery, according to the doctors and nurses. That isn't what got me the most saves out of any hero in Japan, even more than All Might himself. I'm letting myself get dragged into unconsciousness, but a sound alerts me to another presence nearby. It doesn't sound like an animal, it's too loud. Opening my eyes reveals a figure at my window, they're trying to break in. I get ready to stand up, but I see a glimmer of blue. The figure used their Quirk to melt the lock.

Once they climb in, I can see who it actually is. Spikey, black hair; rough, purple scars; staples in his face; a trademark navy jacket and turquoise eyes. I'd never noticed the villain's eyes before. They're exactly like my own. They have a murderous, cold look in them. The flames emitting from his hands, a similar colour to his eyes, adds an ominous glint to them. Everyone knows his name by now. He announced himself as leader of the Vanguard Action Squad, he's made sure everyone knows to fear him with a series of killings with his flames. He speaks to me, his voice is scratchy and deep. Seeing him is chilling enough, hearing his voice is terrifying, but the worst thing of all are the words that come from his mouth.

"Hello, Father. It's been a while since we spoke, let alone as Father to Son." He grins at me, knowing he has full control of me, unlike how we usually are. "W-what are you doing here, Toya?" I know easily enough who he is. My fail--, I mean, my son. I had my suspicions about the villain since his debut, but now he confirmed exactly what I thought. He glares at me, "that's not my name anymore. I'm Dabi." I repeat the question, emphasising the name he uses now. He sighs and weaves his right hand through his hair, the hand that isn't engulfed in flames, "oh, I just wanted to have a friendly chat with my estranged father about our family."

I stay silent. He wants to hurt me, bring my past regrets up. I'm not giving him the chance to draw a reaction out of me. He puts out the blaze in his palm and sits down on my bed. "Well, then. I guess I'll do all the talking." He looks at me to see if my face changes, I keep my trademark angry poker face on. He starts rambling, "hmm, where to begin? Fuyumi, she's a teacher now, right? She always was the smartest in the family. She's 22 now, and has most of her life sorted. And Natsuo, he's 19 and in college, studying healthcare. With a girlfriend? He obviously wants to have a set course in life. And how's mother? When I left, she was still institutionalised. It would have been on the news if she was released. Is she getting better?"

He pauses, wanting a reaction. A reaction to the fact that he has all of this info on the people he left behind. I decide to answer some of his questions, it may stop him doing something, "yes, Fuyumi is a teacher. Natsuo has a girlfriend. And your mother is getting better, your siblings have been seeing her. I haven't, though. The carers think it'll be bad for us all." It's only then that I realise that he didn't bring up Shoto. I'm instantly suspicious, "but they're not why you're here. Why do you want to talk about Shoto? Have you done something to him!?" He puts a finger to his half scarred lips, showing that I should be quiet. "Shhhh, we don't want anyone to catch us, do we? I'll tell you why we need to discuss Shoto in time, and he's unharmed for now."

I give him a hot glare that's usually enough make people's do as I wish, but he sees unfazed. He continues monolouging, "you see, I know they all still hold a hatred for you. Natsuo the most, but he has no power. Shoto, however, has motive and power. Motive to turn on hero society. He knows the truth behind our grand Number One hero. I'll make him turn against you, whether he does so willingly or by force. And you'll have nothing," he leans close to me, right in my face, "your pride and joy, Shoto Todoroki. Your little experiment. Your prodigy, or successor, or whatever you call him in your fucked up mind, will expose you. He'll turn on this 'just' world and bring it down. And there's nothing you can do about it. We're all too far gone."

He stands up and walks back to the window. He turns back to me, "who knows? Maybe mother isn't the only insane one. You don't see your children as human. I'm a villain and a serial killer. Fuyumi is desperately trying to repair a family beyond broken. Natsuo is drowning in hatred. And poor little Shoto Todoroki, you completely ruined him. We may not be able to return the favour, but I can offer a small kindness in return for the years we all put up with you." He let his left hand lazily stroke the wall, and it set alight. He jumps out of the window, and shouts, "Shoto and I together will surpass you in our own way! We're both more powerful, you know it and you fear us!"

Shoto's POV:

There it was again. My old man making headlines. A fire broke out at the hospital. All staff and patients luckily survived. Some suffered after smoke inhalation, others recieved painful and damaging burns. He got the worst of it, since the fire started in his room. He was delirious from lack of air, and second and third degree burns littered his body. He claimed that the villain Dabi attacked him, which was actually true. He was sighted near the hospital, and the flames were glowing blue.

They all resorted to not talking to me, and just giving me pitiful glances. They all seemed to be scared of me, since I had lost my temper the day the news report was released. Iida had intercepted me going back to my room and demanded to know if I was okay, and insisted that I could talk to him any time, apparently he knew exactly what pain I was suffering. O had slapped him, and told him he'd never know my pain.

I was back to being a freak. An experiment. Neglected by those that I should be able to trust. It's just an endless cycle, which always ends with me being alienated by the people I trusted.

Wordcount: 1367