Chapter 4: Friends of the past

Harper's P.O.V

After hours and hours of playing like children, it seemed we had finally run out of Jojo branded toys to use. The same sun that I had anxiously watched go up this morning was beginning to go down opposite where it had started. The two of us gathered up all the toys and dried off to go home.

We returned to my mother making dinner, smelled like spaghetti and hot dogs.
"Did you girls have a nice time?" My mother asked with happiness. My mother looks a lot like me, we have the same Auburn hair and green eyes. Beside her was Jessalyn, JoJo's mom. Our mothers had gotten pretty friendly since Jojo and I had been spending time together since elementary school.
"We had such an amazing time!" Jojo answered with excitement,"We swam and tried out some of my new merchandise".
"Sounds like fun", Jessalyn answered distractedly while helping my mother cook.
"I'm going to take a shower in my moms bathroom." I yelled to Jojo while running upstairs. "You can use mine if you'd like."
"I will! Thank you!" Jojo called back.

I ran up to my room and grabbed another pair of jeans and a shirt, since my swimsuit was soaking my current clothes. Then I went and took my shower, and ended up spending the whole time thinking about Jojo. I'm scared this is becoming an obsession, books and movies never show the characters liking their crushes this much. The worst part about this is knowing that I'll probably never even tell Jojo how I feel, that could ruin our friendship. So I'm just stuck, stuck living with these feelings for Jojo that nobody can ever know about.

I leave the shower, dry off, and get dressed. I end up deciding to just put my hair up instead of wasting time blow drying it, it's short enough to dry on its own anyway.

I arrived downstairs to find Jojo already waiting for me to eat. I can only assume that she's used to being quick at showering because of experience from her tours, that works as a viable explanation for almost all my questions about her. After a short dinner with our parents, since our fathers had arrived, we headed up stairs.
"My mom says we can spend the night at my house", Jojo explained to me on our way up.
"Wow that sounds great!" I immediately answer with enthusiasm. Jojo's house isn't really much of a house though, it's more like a Jojo Siwa themed mall. The place is a huge mansion, and it's decorated from floor to ceiling with JoJo Siwa apparel. From what I remember, there's even a giant statue of Jojo in the front hallway.
"Can we leave now?" I ask while smiling heavily.
"Sure", Jojo replied ,"Want some help packing your stuff?"
I nod my head.
Of course Jojo, of course you'd ask to help me pack stuff. Your niceness seems limitless.
Together, we packed my things, with me packing anything clothing related while Jojo packed anything else we could possibly need. We worked surprisingly quickly together, and were out the door within 10 minutes. The car ride was very entertaining to say the least. Jojo's brother is a comedian and had jokes for days. They were corny, along the lines of "What's red and white and black all over", but they were still funny just the same.

Upon arrival to Jojo's "house", the two of us both bolted for the snack room. I swear, that room is amazing, they have gallons and gallons of every snack you could imagine. I grabbed a bowl and filled it with my favourites, all sorts of cookies and brownies. Jojo also grabbed a bowl, but filled hers with a large variety of sweet candies, maybe the sugar keeps her energetic? The two of us ran upstairs to Jojo's room, which was a surprisingly far trip because of the size of the house.

We made it to Jojo's room, and we both sat down on her bed and started eating. Jojo's room is covered in pictures of her, everything is Jojo branded. It's honestly very uncomfortable for me, my crush is looking at me from every wall, pillow, and angle in the room. After we both started snacking from our bowls, a conversation started. The conversation was about the old days, and our old friend group.

Since the beginning of Elementary School, Jojo and Harper had been friends with three other people. They never understood how the five of them had managed to be such great friends. Though they had similar interests and all liked to dance, it was never the interests that kept them together. The five of them cared for each other and fit together like puzzle pieces, doing everything they could as a group. This dynamic worked until about 7th grade, that's when Willow started getting into emo culture. Her interest started with the mention of a song by MCR, a cousin had showed it to her and she enjoyed it. As the weeks went by, she started talking about more and more emo punk rock songs. A month later came the clothes, black skinny jeans and ripped band shirts. Then there were the piercings, and soon enough she was a full blown stereotypical looking emo. As her interests changed, she drifted away from us, and for a new group of kids to hang out with.
We were all sad to her her leave, but nobody was more distraught than Parker. Parker was always shy and quiet, normally she listened more than talked in our conversations. She was really close with Willow though, the two of them always seemed to understand each other in a way nobody else did. Parker started switching back and forth who she would hang out with, but eventually decided to stay with Willow and her emo friends, even though Parker herself wasn't emo.
That left me, Jojo, and Kyle. Kyle is smart and clever, he always seems to know what everybody else is feeling. He never shows much emotion himself though. It was just the three of us for years, but that's when Kyle started disappearing. At first, he would leave during lunch to go to the "bathroom", and the trips would take over 10 minutes. Then he would disappear when Jojo and I weren't looking, and would come back whenever we weren't looking again. Of course, he was clever enough to come up with excuses, very detailed excuses as for why he left. As of last school year, he's still been disappearing. Sometimes he wouldn't even show up for lunch, but would be back right afterwards and act like he was never even gone.
"When was the last time you heard from Kyle?" Jojo asked me, still confused herself about why Kyle disappears.
"I've spoken to him once or twice while you were on tour." I answered. "We hiked through the woods and talked about life about a month ago."
"Why don't we go see him then?" Jojo blurted out with excitement.
"That's a great idea!" I answered with just as much excitement as Jojo. "Should I text him now?"
JoJo answered immediately, "Totally!"

I grabbed my phone and sent him a simple "Hey" and he replied within minutes.

Harper: Hey
Kyle : Hey, what's going on?
Harper: Jojo's back from Australia
Kyle: I heard, how's she doing?
Harper: She's doing great.
Kyle: Good to hear it.
Kyle: Have you checked your schedule for school yet? School starts in a week.

I totally forgot about school starting, the three of us are going to be juniors. I immediately told Jojo to check her schedule and I checked mine. It turns out that Jojo and I have the first three classes together. After telling Kyle and checking all our schedules together, we found out Kyle and I have first and forth period together. Jojo only had first period with Kyle. It was getting late, so we both said our goodnights to Kyle and went to sleep.