Ten

"Werewolves howl.
Phantoms prowl.
Halloween's upon us now."
- Richelle E. Goodrich

The sanctuary was beautiful, even in the dark. Everything was bathed in moonlight, and floating candles illuminated the clearing. Multicolored decorations hung from every pole, fence, and building. Charlie's co-workers milled about dressed as different things. It honestly looked like something out of a dream.

Athene was pleased with the outfit that she had chosen for the event. Her beaded bodice matched Charlie's muggle suit perfectly. It was almost as though they had planned it. Charlie led her through the crowded area to what looked to be a farmer. Even in disguise, Baird was easy to distinguish. His tall frame toward over everyone in the area and his beard had been braided for the occasion. "Charlie!" His voice boomed over the chatter, and many pairs of eyes were suddenly on the couple.

"Baird," Charlie took the hand that his boss offered him, "Good to see you."

Baird looked Charlie's date up and down and smiled in appreciation, "I'm so glad you got your girlie to come. I was afraid you had made up the entire story of her forgiveness." Athene's face reddened both with the memory of earlier that year and the fact that everyone else knew of what happened.

"It's nice to see you, too," Athene smiled shyly, and Baird laughed heartily.

"You should go get your girlie some refreshments," Baird nodded to the drink table. "I'll take care of her 'till you get back." It almost looked like Charlie wasn't going to go, but the moment of hesitation passed, and he left Athene alone with the crowd of people.

Several strangers stepped up to introduce themselves. There was a Mathew, a James, and a Phillip. Then there was a Joan and a Patrick. Athene was sure that she wouldn't remember any of these people's names in twenty minutes, but there was one name and face that Athene would never forget. Maddie was a tall woman who knew how to flaunt her looks. She was dressed in a bright red, bedazzled dress with a split up her thigh and a lack of fabric at the top. Just looking at the woman would make any man swoon.

She took several steps forward and reached a dainty hand out for Athene to shake, "I'm Maddie, but you already knew that." Fury raced through Athene's blood at the sight of the smug grin on Maddie's face. What a wicked woman.

"Interesting," Athene tried to keep her voice level despite her growing urge to hex the woman, "You might know who I am, Maddie."

Maddie opened her mouth to answer, but Charlie came up behind Athene with two glasses of punch in his hands. "Athene, I see you've been introduced to the masses."

Baird offered a mighty chuckle, "You've got quite the girl on yer hands, Charlie. I wouldn't let that one go."

"Charlie," Maddie completely brushed off her controlling act and replaced it with an innocent one, "I've missed you while you were gone."

"And so have the dragons, I'm sure," Charlie handed a clear cup to Athene and wrapped his now empty arm around Athene's waist. "I don't think you've properly met my girlfriend, Athene." The punch that Athene had just taken a sip of, stuck in her throat. Not only had they not used those titles before, he chose to say them in front of her. Athene had never been prouder. Maddie smiled sourly at the two of them before hustling off to annoy her next victim. "I'm sorry about that."

"Yeah," Athene took another swig of her punch, "me, too."

Unsurprisingly, the time seemed to fly by. Athene found that she loved Charlie's co-workers. They were a fun-loving group who liked to party. And boy, did they party. They danced, and they danced, and they danced. Athene danced until she had no feeling left in her legs. "Charlie," Athene wrapped a hand around his shoulder, "I'm going to go freshen up."

Charlie pointed her in the right direction, and, soon enough, she found the utilities. It was a side building in the middle of the clearing. Though it wasn't big, it was clean, and it had just what she needed. She did quick work of relieving herself, but she took an extra moment to stare at herself in the mirror. The dress that Athene had picked out complimented her shape, brought out her eyes, and made her into a respectable woman. That was a crazy thought. Athene washed her hands in the basin of water. As she watched the water drip from her fingertips, someone else joined her in the bathroom.

"What do we have here?" Maddie had another one of her infuriating smug smiles on her face. "Just the person I was looking for."

"If you'll excuse me," Athene used wandless magic to dry her hands and tried to push past the woman in the doorway, but she didn't budge. "Please, move."

"I don't think so," the woman pushed Athene farther into the washroom. "I have something that I need to get off my chest, and you're going to sit there and take notes like the good little journalist that I've heard you are." Athene's eyes followed Maddie's every step. "He doesn't see it yet, but Charlie and I are meant to be together. I've loved him since he came here and he loves me too. He's just distracted by a fleeting attraction."

"Funny," Athene stood to her full height, though it barely made a difference, "he said the exact same thing about you. He told me that what you two had was just the attraction between a man and a woman. So if anyone here is distracted, it's you."

"How dare-"

Athene raised a finger into the air and silenced the fuming woman, "No. You need to face the facts. You may think that Charlie is only distracted - and maybe he is - but this has captured his undivided attention, which is more than what you can say for yourself." Without waiting for a reply, Athene pushed herself past Maddie and back into the open night air. The stars twinkled down on Athene as though they were congratulating her on her spectacular performance. Heat sat in her cheeks, and she was sure she would feel the burning if it wasn't for the fresh air surrounding her.

"Hey," Athene joined Charlie, who had been sitting in a folding chair, "had a fun conversation in the bathroom just now."

"I saw Maddie slip away after you'd left," Charlie wrapped his hand around her own. "I was expecting more of an explosion."

Athene slapped his shoulder playfully. "You're incorrigible. Absolutely bonkers." But the smile on her face said the opposite.

"But you love me."

"I know."

Author's Note:
I attempted a Star Wars reference at the end there but it low key kinda sucks.
Please let me know what you think (it makes my day when I get a notification on one of my books). Thank you!