Nineteen

"When you fight corruption,
it fights back."
- Nuhu Ribadu

Sunlight streamed through Epeolatry's windows, but the lone occupant of the building couldn't be bothered to notice. Athene's eyes were trained on the stack of papers set on the counter in front of her. Her fingers pounded from all of the typing that had occurred overnight, but the article that she had produced made it worth it. Like many times before, Athene had returned from her interviews and wrote an article that the Ministry wouldn't approve of.

Sometime between one and three in the morning, Athene realized that she liked the rush that this gave her. She enjoyed the fact that she could pack a punch without actually touching anyone. It was a feeling that she could get used to.

The line of people that had formed outside of Epeolatry was also something that she could get used to. People came from everywhere to get a copy of the newest edition of Veracity. There were so many people that came just for the news article that there was hardly enough space for her actual customers. "It seems that you've hit it big, my dear." Margarete had shoved her way through the door just to get a word with the shop owner, and now that she was at the front of the line, she wasn't going anywhere. "I miss the days of the quiet bookstore."

"I can't say that I feel the same. People deserve to hear the truth, and I'm glad that they're eating it up." The two watched as a woman carrying a child picked up her own copy of the newsletter and left the store. "This is a good thing, no matter how much we want things to calm down."

"I understand. A part of me wishes that I had the guts to do what you're doing. But the bigger part says that it's a bad idea."

"I know the feeling," Athene's eyes scanned the little shop as unease settled in her bones. Since Valentine's Day, there had been no sign of the man in black. But Athene was doing exactly what he told her not to, so she wouldn't be surprised if something happened. "But I think it's worth it."

"Well," Margarete set several books on the counter, successfully cutting off the next person in line, "I think these books are worth it, so keep 'em coming."

While the store never really calmed down, Athene was left with nothing else to do. Margarete was her only patron that had come in that day, and after she was gone, Athene was left with strangers. Of course, there was the idle chit chat between people looking for information and the odd shouting match between angry customers. But there was nothing unusual.

Until the ever famous Rita Skeeter walked through the doors.

She was dressed in one of her extravagant outfits, and a scowl was set on her face. The line that had been in front of the counter suddenly disappeared when she pushed her way to the front. With the empty shop, Athene suddenly felt a lot less confident in what she was doing. "Rita. How nice of you to drop by."

"I'm not here for pleasantries, Athene." Rita sighed, and her scowl was replaced with a frown. Athene was surprised to find genuine concern in her aunt's eyes. "I've read all of your articles. Your mother would be proud."

"What does my mother have to do with any of this?"

"Dumbledore didn't tell you then?" Rita rubbed a hand over her face, and interest bubbled in Athene's gut. "Your mother did exactly what you're doing before she was killed. She had your gift of truth. She wove such convincing articles, and one day, the enemy had enough. Your mother paid for the articles that she wrote with her life and your father's life."

"I'm doing the same thing that my mother did?" Athene could hardly wrap her brain around the idea. She knew so little of her parents, and such a great revelation was mind-boggling. "Why didn't you tell me this sooner?"

"Because I wasn't ready to tell you. I might not have liked who your mom ended up with, but she was my sister. I loved her dearly."

"Then why are you telling me now?"

"If a person is not educated on the past, then they are doomed to make mistakes."

Athene's blood began to boil, "Wise words for a woman who won't report the past. Tell me, Rita, what was going through your mind when you claimed Harry Potter and Professor Dumbledore were nutjobs?"

"Sometimes," Rita paused and drew in a long breath, "sometimes you have to know when to admit defeat. If I had gone against the Ministry-"

"Lies aren't news, Rita, they're lies. The only thing you've done is saved yourself," Athene slammed her hands down on the wooden countertop. "There won't be a moment in my life where I regret what I've done, and I think the same goes for my mother. I'm doing the right thing."

"Say that to the men that stood outside your shop all day. They didn't look very forgiving."

"If I am to perish because I spoke the truth, then so be it. The world will not know me as a coward." Athene stood up straighter and pointed her index finger at her aunt. "You have no right to judge my decisions."

"What will you do if this gets you killed? If it gets Charlie killed." The words flew right from Rita's mouth and into Athene's head. She had always known that there was a risk that came with this, and she had always thought that it had been her cross to bear.

Athene watched with bated breath as Rita left the shop without another word. Once she was gone, the shop owner quickly locked her doors and added a few extra charms just in case. Athene would need to be careful if what her aunt said was true. Her mother had managed to get on He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named's nerves with her writing and, if the Ministry or Voldemort wanted to silence her, they'd have to try a bit harder than alohamora.

Author's Note:
We get to see a bit into why Athene's parents were brutally murdered by the Dark Lord. Please vote or comment if you're excited to find out what happens next!