Twelve

"Hope is being able to see
that there is light despite
all of the darkness."
- Desmond Tutu

December came, and the cold weather settled over Diagon Alley. There was never a day where there wasn't snow in the air or on the ground. The white substance coated the cobblestone walkways, but it didn't stop the Wizarding Community from shopping. The upcoming holiday put a spring in everyone's step, and they invaded Diagon Alley. Epeolatry was always busier during the holiday season, so that's how Athene found herself rushing to help another customer.

"I'm so sorry for the wait," Athene tried to catch her breath. "What can I do to help you?"

The woman that Athene was speaking was stood in front of the young adult section of Athene's shop. She had three young children clinging to her legs and a babe sleeping in her arms. "I'm looking for a book to give to my daughter for Christmas."

"How old is your daughter?" Athene smiled at one of the little girls peeking up at her from behind her mother.

"She's eighteen," the proud mother smiled, "She'll be graduating next year, so I was thinking something practical. Something that will help keep her safe."

Athene nodded and led her to a different section. "I've just restocked my Defense Against the Dark Arts section. For a while there, it was nearly impossible to put anything on those shelves. If that's not what you're looking for, then the 'how-to' books are just over there-" Athene pointed to a set of shelves near to where they were standing "-those are more of the 'how do you bake a cake' and whatnot."

The woman said her thanks, and Athene left her to browse. She suspected that this woman would be one of her last customers of the day. The sun had begun to set, and the once crowded side street was starting to settle down. It had been a long day filled with customers who were either upset with the product they had purchased or frantically searching for a gift. Athene usually hated this time of year, but she oddly found herself enjoying the festive spirit and her bountiful customers.

"Did you find what you were looking for?" Athene smiled at the woman as she placed several books onto the counter.

"I think so, yes." The woman carefully eyed her children while Athene wrapped up her books. There were several of the 'how to' sorts of books, but there was one defense book hidden within the mix.

"Here you are," Athene pushed the bag of books towards the woman after she handed over the correct amount of coins. "I hope you have a lovely evening and a blessed Christmas!" The store owner followed the woman to the door and locked it as soon as all three children were out.

Epeolatry was only set to be open for another three days before she closed it for the holidays. That meant that the next article of Veracity would have to be written and printed by the next day. Athene planned to hole herself in her bedroom with her typewriter until she finished and, had she not been a fan of procrastination, would have been a short period of time.

The empty page of parchment seemed to stare at her with a mocking glare. Each time she brought her hands up to type something, her mind came up with an entirely different idea. It was infuriating. She was supposed to be writing about the danger of the holidays, but nothing seemed to come to mind. Of course, she knew what she was supposed to write, but something seemed to be blocking her creativity.