Special Chapter One

16 years later, they didn’t maintain their communication. Probably because they are more focused on their own lives. They live in different Cities and some of Lea’s squad lives in the Philippines. Because Lea chose to settle down in the US. She didn’t bother to visit their home country.

She became a successful doctor as she dreamed when she was young. And settled of course, with Rob. They already have a son.

They are on their way to the National Bookstore because his son loves to read books even when he was a little. While she was on the road, she was thinking of her friends. Her High School squad is named Lisette, Monera and Allyah Shane. And also to Maria and Pam whom her childhood friends. Most especially, her first and great love. Aga.

“How is he? How are they? It’s been awhile.” She thought while on the road then suddenly felt a tear in her eyes. Because she misses the old days. Because somehow, they have been true friends in this world. They have been there when things were rough, they have been together through thick and thin.

They just don’t know what happened to the communication or to the friendship that they built, after all.

“I wish I could turn back time. In another life, we wouldn’t be like this.” She was now somehow blaming herself for what happened to them. She wanted to resolve the issue. She wanted to save their friendship. But, how? She doesn’t even know where they are. Where they have been.

“Probably, in another life.” She said and her son caught her tears and wiped it away.

“Stop crying, Ma. I hate seeing you crying.” He said, and he hugged his Mom. Lea on the other hand, couldn’t stop crying. So his son keeps caressing her back.

“You are so much like him.” She thought. That’s why she keeps on crying. If her son knew what was going on. If her son knew what was the reason behind all this. His name, identity, nickname, and her tears. She wanted to say that but she can’t. After all these years, she still felt the pain of yesterday. She still has “What if’s” going in her mind.

“It could’ve been you, you know.” She just said in her mind while looking at his son as if their eyes were speaking.

“Mom, we’re here.” His son suddenly exclaimed and that made her stop from crying. She fixed herself especially, she wiped her own tears because she doesn’t want to be asked what happened to her if in any case someone could see them.

She followed her son to go to the National Bookstore. Her son ran so fast that she couldn’t catch her breath.

“Son, slow down!” She exclaimed and her son looked at her and smiled. He stopped running so that his mother could follow through.

“What were you doing? What’s with the rush?” She said to his son.

“I’m sorry, Mommy! I just can’t help it. I get excited to buy books, you know.” He said and smiled while hugging his mother as “Pampalubag loob” he’s making lambing to his mother so that hindi na siya pagalitan nito.

She heaved a deep sigh and looked at his son. “Okay, we’ll get through it. But slow down. You might talisod. Okay?” His son was laughing at her because his mother couldn’t stop being conyo. And ever since, she is really like that.

“Okay, okay, Mom. I’m sorry, let’s go.” So he held her mother’s hands to go to the bookstore and they walked until they reached their destination.

Meanwhile, while his son was picking up the book that he wanted to read, she checked the place and nag-libot lang ng sandali. And then she saw a tagline on the floor.

“Babes” that were written on the tagline that probably slipped on the floor. And she remembered everything. Literally, EVERYTHING. From how they started, and how it ended. And now she wonders, “Kamusta na kaya si Aga?”
She just looked at that tagline and smiled like an idiot while reminiscing all the memories from the past. And now she wonders, “Kanino kayang tagline ito? This must have slipped on the floor.” She said to herself and she doesn’t know how long she was standing there but she didn't care at all. All she knows is that she wanted to reminisce all the memories with them. Whether it’s good or bad.

She checked and looked in every direction because she might be the owner of the tagline and it became interesting to her. there’s only one person who could call her that way. There’s only one person who could do it.

“It’s not impossible at all that they were here because we live in the same country. It’s just that we live in different cities.” That kind of thought kept running in her mind. She checked the place further who might be looking for the tagline.

And then at the peripheral vision, there was one person who was familiar with her. So that person went in Lea's direction.

“Miss?” she said to Lea and Lea looked at the direction where she heard the voice.

“Oh, hey.” She looked familiar. She wanted to say it that way. sobrang kamukha niya ‘yung taong nasa isip niya ngayon. But again, she doesn’t want to set expectations to disappoint her. Besides, she has been longing for her friends that she lost the communication to. Hindi naman kasi talaga siya mahilig makipag-interact.

“H-hi, Ms. Lea.” The woman said and Lea wonder, paano siya nakilala nito? All these years she has been a stalker? She gave a bakit mo ako kilala look to that woman.

“Oh, please. Don’t be mad. I know you are this person, Babes.” And then she knew from that moment that somehow, this could be the daughter of Aga. Her first and great love. Because, she made a sacrifice 16 years ago for the person who she doesn’t want to grow up without a father. She shed a tear while looking at that person. Or should I say….. to Aga’s daughter.

“Well, it has been 16 years.” That’s the only sentence that she could utter. She was full of emotions that she couldn’t even stand her feet.

“It’s okay, I just want to say something.” the woman said and smiled. Lea was about to speak then naunahan siya nito.

“My name is Agnes Carmen. I asked my parents why they named me that way, at first they didn't want to tell me why. Until I saw Dad writing this word. Babes. I asked him one last time. It wasn’t full of details at all. Pero, may sinabe siya sa’kin na kailanman ay hindi ko malilimutan.” Carmen still shed a tear but still managed to smile.

“My father told me that he wanted me to be reminded of the reason why we’re complete. Because, not so long ago someone made a big decision and sacrifice for me to have a complete family.” And now the tears are flowing at them. Agnes on the other hand, couldn’t stop herself from crying.

“I just really come by to see you and be thankful for what you’ve done. Also, I just want you to know that hindi ‘to madali kay Daddy. He tried contacting you, he tried to be friends with you, pero ikaw daw ang lumalayo. Until she gets tired. Getting tired of reaching you. That is why he made this.” Binigay niya ‘yung tagline na may nakalagay na “Babes” at inabot ito kay Agnes.

“I promised them that one of these days kapag malaki na ako and I’m working, I promised  them to find and come by your place to see you. I believed that we’ll cross our paths, nothing is impossible in the first place. And so we’re here today fulfilling my promise to my parents. I don’t know if you should know this but without you, we’re incomplete. They said, you’re my Mama. It may not be blood, but I’m your daughter in your heart. Sino ba naman kasi ang magsa-sacrifice ng happiness niya just for the sake of the child? And from that very moment, Mom and I accepted that my father couldn’t love my Mom the way he loves you. And it’s okay.” Agnes said and Lea was on her chair. FROZEN. She couldn’t even utter the word.

“Mommy!!! I’m done na po to pick books.” They were interrupted by Lea’s son so they looked in the same direction at tinignan naman ito ni Agnes. Because Lea on the other hand, couldn’t even move or speak.
“Hi baby, what’s your name?” Agnes said and the child was looking at him trying not to show that he was shy at all.

“Ariel po. My name is Ariel Aga Chien.” Ariel said and Agnes looked in Lea's direction trying not to show that they were crying.

“Hi...Aga. I’m Carmen, Your sister” She said. Lea on the other hand, nu’ng narinig niya ang pangalang Aga coming from the voice of her daughter, her heart is beating so fast that she couldn’t even catch her breath. Si Aga naman ay nagulat dahil ngayon lang niya ito nakilala.

“You are Mom and Dad’s daughter too?” Sabi naman ni Aga for curiosity because hindi niya ma-recall that he has a big sister.

“No, sweetheart. I’m your Mom’s daughter in her heart. Not by her blood.” Even though Aga wouldn’t understand it, they hugged each other as if they were like a real sister.

Minutes after the hug, kumalas na sila sa yakap at humarap naman kay Lea.

“Ms. Lea, or Mama, I wanted you to visit our home, one of these days, ito na ang last day ni Papa. And this time, I want Daddy to somehow see the genuine smile that was gone for the past 16 years. Don’t worry, Mom and I talked about it. And she wanted this one as well. As I’ve said, we accepted that Dad couldn’t love my Mom the way he loves you. Here’s the address, I really do hope that you could come.” Agnes said and rushed to go outside of the bookstore and Lea couldn’t even believe that after 16 years, they would still see each other.

After bayaran ang mga pinamili nilang libro, they went outside of the bookstore and went inside of the car. And now, she remembers everything that happened earlier. Habang umaandar ang sasakyan, nakasakay siya sa may window seat because she loves it that way ever since.

She looked up to the sky and said, “Walang duda, Ags. Ikaw pa rin.” She shed a tear while holding her chest pointed to her heart.