Chapter 37: Waiting for him

"We all broke our own rules for someone." -Unknown

Elsie POV

The doctor said he is safe. Luckily the bullet didn't hit his heart." Alex, Dexter's right man informed me once the doctor left the mansion. I blew out a heavy breath while receiving the news.

After the shot, his men arrived and they manage to kill the person at the villa. We immediately headed to the mansion and had his doctor treated his wound.

"Thank you for earlier, Alex. I wouldn't know what to do if you were not there." I sat on the couch with Andrea on my lap. She cried when she saw they carried Dexter to his room in an unconscious state.

"You are welcome. That is our job. Actually, we are nearby the villa during these few days. Boss asked us to monitor from afar but we didn't notice intruders at the villa. To be frank, it was our fault." He said in an apologetic tone. I didn't blame him for this. I am aware of the danger in the mafia's world.

"It's okay it has passed. I didn't blame anyone on this." I know the truth better than anyone. It was my fault. He was shot because he shielded the bullet for me.

"I will leave for now. Anything just calls me outside, Ms. Miller."

"Elsie, just call me Elsie," I said with a genuine smile. He nodded and strode out.

"Daddy will be okay?" Andrea spoke, looking at me. I smiled at her and kissed her cheek. I missed her, it had been a long time I didn't meet my little friend.

"Yes, princess, don't worry. He will be okay. Do you want to see him?" I asked twirled my head sending her a comforting smile.

"Yes, yes, yes. Can we go now? I missed him." She bounced on my lap and excitement was clearly stated on her face. I chuckled at her action.

"I missed him too. Let's go." I lifted her up from my lap and held her in my arms headed to Dexter's room. I placed my index finger on my lips motion Andrea to stay silent when we reached the room. I saw him lie on the bed with a bandage wrapped on the right side of his upper body. His face was covered with a few bruised and the same goes for his knuckles. The IV drips were connected to his wrist.

"Why daddy didn't wake up?" Andrea whispered to my ear. We sat on the chair beside the bed.

"He still in a weak condition so he needs to sleep to get some energy. He will wake up when the medicine takes effect. You can tell him how much you missed him once he wakes up. Don't worry, okay?" I placed her on my lap facing Dexter on the bed.

We sat there for a while accompany Dexter until Andrea told me that she was hungry. I fed her food, help her to shower, and put her to bed when it reached her sleep time. Once I settled everything about Andrea, I went back to Dexter's room.

I walked to the bathroom and took a small basin and a clean towel. I placed it on the nightstand near his bed and dipped the towel with the warm water. I rubbed his face and body carefully with the towel.

"Until when you want to sleep, Mr. Mafia?" I mumbled while staring at his face, placing the towel aside. I sat on the bed beside him holding his hand.

"Don't you know how much I missed you? It's time to wake up." I pleaded in a low tone. I wanted to let him sleep more but at the same time I wanted to hear his voice but he was in his slumber sleep. Hopefully, he will awake the next day. I pulled the chair closer to him and sat there with my hand wrapped onto his knuckles. I closed my eyes and rested my head on the bed until sleep took over me.

Dexter POV

I heard every single word that she said earlier. I was awake when she rubbed my body with warm water. I purposely refused to open my eyes as I wanted to hear her cute babbles. I was over-excited as I heard about her confession. Yes, it was a confession for me. At least I know how much she cares for me now and moving to the next step will be easier with this. I will force her to confess.

Action speaks louder than voice. But, this time her action and word both were loud enough and it convinced me that she loves me, for sure.

❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤