Chapter 4 "The Tryouts"

Cheryl Blossom POV

I finally have something to look forward to. The cheer tryouts are today! The cheer team is the one thing I rule over in this school. The one thing Blair let me. Everyone thinks I hate her. But I don't. I always keep my guard up and don't let people in so that I don't get heard. I have never even had a long term girlfriend. Blair was getting too close to me so I decided to shut her out. 

My council sits on my two sides- Serena on my right and Veronica on my left. Every year we have a huge turnout but not many of them are actually good. This year we had only one spot and god none of them were even slightly bearable. "This has got to be a joke. Not one person is worthy of even showing their faces here," Veronica says sounding like she is about to give up. "Sorry I'm late" a Blondie appears wearing a pair of black shorts and a full sleeve. "Betty Cooper, just in time," Serena says. "No C, you can't let her be in your squad. Blair will hate it." "Let the girl give her audition Veronica. We will see later. Whenever you are ready." She starts her routine. It looks like she choreographed it herself. There were some good moves and she looked in sync. Did not give the sexy cheerleader vibe even tho. But easily the best out of the disappointments I experienced today. After she finished Serena and Veronica got into an argument, Serena said she should be on the squad while Veronica said she shouldn't. "Shut up girls. Clearly you provide no help in making a decision. SO leave it to me." I mean she is the best we had so far but I know Blair hates her so I Don't want to hurt her again. "Sorry blondie, next time come more prepared and lose a few pounds." "Seriously, I know I'm the best you've had today. Or are you doing this because you're scared of Blair." Did she really say that. "I am not scared of anyone. Do you even know who I am?" "So prove it. Take me in your squad against the wishes of Blair because you know I am good." "You chirp a lot. Fine, I'll give you a shot but if you are not competent I will kick you out." She gets a smirk on her face. 

Betty Cooper POV

I knew I could break Cheryl's fragile ego. Cheerleading is something I've always liked. I know its cliche but somehow as a cheerleader, I feel validated. Serena approaches me and congratulates me. "I'm so glad you are in the squad! You are Dan's best friend right? He has told me a lot about you." What? Dan and Serena were 'talking'. I mean I had seen him stare at her a couple of times but didn't think she was his type. Or maybe he is just trying to be her friend but its 'SERENA VAN DER WOODSEN' no guy wants to be just her friend. "Oh, that's great. You and Dan are friends?" I trying not to sound surprised. "Yeah, we hung out a couple of times. Oh, Betty, I gotta run but see you around." "Ya sure. Bye."

I am lying on Dan's bed and Dan is working on his book. "Hey, I joined the cheer team! And met your new friend Serena." "That's great football tryouts are tomorrow and I'm going to go." He missed my point. "Is there something you wanna tell me, Dan." "About what?" he asks with genuine confusion. "How you are buddies with Serena. You never told me." "Ya it's nothing," he replies, "Well it's definitely something. You know yourself you don't make friends. Unless.......you're crushing on her. Oh my god, you are crushing on Serena van der Woodsen. You remember she has a boyfriend right? The captain of the football team Nate Archibald. The team you are trying out for." "Hey hey hey.... how quickly did you jump to assumptions." "They are not assumptions if it's true. You are practically blushing." "Can we please change the subject. Talking about love lives did you talk to your mystery summer guy." "Change the subject please." God how do I forget about Archie Andrews. Ever since our conversation, his words keep replaying in my head "I can't stop thinking about you, Betty. It's impossible". I hated him for that because I felt the same way. He is a giant asshole for making me feel that way. "You know Betts the more I think about the more I feel like this mystery summer guy is non-existent." "Oh, he is real. Very real. And right now I wish he wasn't."

Nate Archibald POV

I am driving to school with Serena. She is literally the most lovable and beautiful person I know. From as long as I can remember I wanted to be more than her best friend. But now that we were finally together I felt something was missing. And I couldn't shake the feeling that she felt it too. I know we should talk about it but I'm not sure what to say.

Football is something I really love and is important to me. Even though my grades are mediocre I am looking to get into an ivy with a football scholarship. So naturally, tryouts are important too. We need a strong team to win. This time we are looking out for only 2 spots. Me, Coach Larry and Archie Andrews are on the deciding committee with Coach having the final decision. I spot Chuck Clayton, Kevin Keller and some other high school guys. I also spot that new kid Dan Humphrey. "Hey Humphrey, you were a part of the Riverdale high bulldogs weren't you." I ask. "Yeah, we played you guys for the quarter finals last year." "Not very good. Your team." Archie says from the back. "Maybe, but I know  am good." "Show us what you got, all of you" Coach finally says and the guys start their play. It isn't really a tough decision. We can clearly see Dan and Chuck are way better than the rest of them. After some decision making between the committee we decide on Dan and Kevin since coach has issues with Chuck's behavior. "Welcome to the team, don't let us down." I have a good feeling this year that we are finally going to win the state championship.

I see Serena with the cheer costume coming towards me. We get into a massive display of PDA. "Hey you have a lot of love for me today," Serena says tugging her hair behind her ear. The truth is I have thinking about the thoughts I have been having about our relationship and I am not going to ruin the special thing we have. "Everyday," I reply. I spot Dan walking out and call out for him. "Serena, meet the newest 'St.Judes Fallon' Dan." Dan gives a faint smile to Serena. "Oh we have already met" Serena says, my arm still around her waist. "Ok I should get going. See you guys around." He says this and glances at Serena. And then walks away.

**I know this chapter was slow but I am setting up a common ground for all our characters to explore their dynamics.