Chapter 1

<Dylan's POV>

I stalked across the cafeteria at school towards the senior tables. My face was blank and I stood straight, as if someone shoved a rod up my back.

My friends eyes met mine. They knew. They knew how worried I was about him. I was too close to losing a second father.

Sam pressed pause on his phone and pulled his earbuds out of his ears. "You good, Val?"

My hands gripped my tray tight, then slid into the seat across from them. "Yeah." I took a breath and released my death grip on the lunch tray. "Yeah I'm good."

Blair threw her long braid over her shoulder and leaned over the table to place a hand on mine. "He'll be fine. KO is monitoring his condition 24/7 and I'm helping too."

"I know." My spoon traced circles in the chicken noodle soup. "I just..."

"Don't want to lose him." Samuel hummed. "We know. And no poorly concocted plan of screamers is gonna take him away from you."
He rubbed the back of his neck and grinned cheekily. "Sounders has cameras everywhere keeping an eye on him."

His hand caught on the bottom of his black beanie and it went flying off his head. It slid to a stop on the slick floor ten feet away.

Sam's sky blue eyes blinked owlishly. Bree and I looked at each other and started giggling madly. It felt like a weight was lifted off my shoulders.

"Wonderful job, Sammy!" I proclaimed in a British accent and Bree applauded. "Absolutely marvelous."

He glowered at the two of us, then swung one leg over the lunch table bench and came face to face with none other than Miko Nakadai.

We were silent for a moment. Sam looked awkward and was leaning back a little in his seat. Blair smirked, and I shot her a warning glare.

The junior's crush on Sam was obvious, and we both knew Sam hated it.

Blair also knew that I liked Sam, and took every opportunity to tease me.

Miko held his beanie in her grip, intent on returning it to its owner. "Hey, Sammy!" She shoved the beanie out to him. "You dropped this."

"Don't call me Sammy."

Miko continued like she never heard him. Her eyes lit up in excitement. "You know the Halloween dance is coming up? We should go together!"

Sam pulled his beanie back over his shaggy blonde hair and scowled. "No."

The exchange student was not deterred. "We could go as a king and queen! No, that won't work." She concentrated. "Eh, we can come up with something later."

Sam looked at me, begging me for assistance and I rolled my eyes.

The bell rang, cutting off Miko's rant.

Sam stood up quickly, dumping his tray into the trashcan. Miko stepped back a few steps in surprise. "Well, look at that!" He exclaimed, looking at his bare wrist. "Lunch is up, let's go home."

"But-"

"Sorry, kid." Sam barely spared Miko a glance as we jogged to keep up with his long strides. "Rain check on that dance."

We barely made it out the school doors before Blair started laughing. "You really don't like her, do you?"

"I'm just glad seniors don't have to take full days." Sam shuddered. "It's bad enough I have her in my computer class."

"Oh, relax, you big baby," I chuckled. "It doesn't kill you to have some social interaction."

"Yes, yes it does."