two

Elle McBriar
April 30th, 1 year and 157 days since the first zombie report

Today was cold and miserable and just overall blah!

I got nothing done except for sitting on the outdoor swing in the rain.

I was watching the rain pattern against the soft grass, while the clouds brewed an ugly storm.

A concrete birdbath was broken in the corner - a patch of the garden we hadn't tackled yet.

No ones ever gonna see the house, so why bother cleaning in. It's not like we can win the garden of the year award!

My eyes felt heavy as I blinked a few times, pulling the duvet up onto my legs a little higher.

I pushed myself back and forth slowly, rocking myself to sleep.

Today felt weird. Maybe it was the weather. It was gloomy.

I heard a door open but didn't bother looking.

"Here." Is all he said before he took a seat next to me. I was handed a white mug with a tea bag hanging off the side.

I smiled a silent 'thank you' to Paxton and bought the liquid to my lips, taking small sips.

"Penny has been watching you through the window. She said you look sad."

I shrugged, "I'm not sad."

"Then what are you? Because you've been awfully quiet ever since we woke up."

I avoided his eyes. If I told him what's really going on, he'd tell me I'm going crazy and that I need to stop worrying.

"Nothing. Just- tired. That's all."

Paxton wrapped his strong arms around me as I leaned my head on his shoulder. He's unbelievably comfy- and surprisingly warm.

And he makes me feel safe.

"Are you sure? There's nothing I should be worried about?" He asked me softly, brushing a strand of hair away from my face.

"I promise."

He kissed my forehead gently and went back inside. Leaving me to my thoughts.

* * *

Throughout the day, I walked around aimlessly. Straightening old pictures on the wall, fluffing the pillows, dusting the books.

Just little things.

Alex at one point had to physically hide my cleaning supplies so I couldn't clean anything else.

So I just sat in my room and re-read a book I hadn't read in a while. I closed the makeshift curtains, lit a candle and opened the book.

'The Secret Garden'

One of my favorite books I read as a child. I reminisce about the children, the gardens. And what it would feel like to run barefoot through the fresh grass.

A knock sounded on the door as I had just turned the page, "Come in." I said.

I smiled at Penny as she came in and closed the door, "Hey, can we talk?" I closed my book, "Of course."

Patting the bed beside me, Penny climbed in and we snuggled under the covers, the duvet keeping us warm.

"What's up?" I ask. Penny kinda shrugged and then looked away, "I wanted to have girl talk, you know. Talk about boys and dances but that's inevitable, you know."

She giggled nervously and I could tell something was really bothering her.

"Okay, spit it out, what's really going on? You're all... jittery."