ten

Elle McBriar
May 4th, 1 year and 161 days since the first zombie report

I was up most of the night with Riley, who is terrified of storms.

"Do you think I'll get to play with baby today?" Riley asked, yawning in his chair as we sat down for breakfast, "Maybe. It depends if Megan is feeling up for it." I smiled, taking a bite of my bread.

I haven't slept a wink. Talk about exhausting.

"Do you think baby gets nervous too? Like you do?" He asks. For a 2 year old, he asks a lot of questions, "Maybe. I mean, everyone gets anxiety sometimes. Do you get nervous over anything?"

He nods his head, a mouth full of sprinkles, "When we have to leave the house. Or when you guys yell. And when you guys cry and talk about zombies. And I get scared when I wake up in the middle of the night and I hear the walls creaking."

I choked on my bread as a wide blush rose to my cheeks, "T-that's uh, the house adjusting. It sets it straight." I coughed, swallowing some water. He shrugs.

"Do you feel better now? Did your adult juice help?" He pointed to my coffee, "Yes it did, very much. How are you feeling?" He just stared at me, "I'm fine. Just confused."

He hopped out of his chair as his little feet padded to the sink. He stood on his tip-toes as the plate crashed into the sink, "Why are you confused?" 

"Why can't I tell brother and Megan about your nervous?" He pouts. I smile, hoisting him up onto my knee, "Because. They'll worry, and they don't need too." I said, "Just forget about it, okay? Go play with your toys." 

He left the kitchen as I sat alone, processing everything.

But there was one task I was dreading, waking everyone up and having a funeral. I had already talked to Megan, because she came down to get some blankets for the baby. She's going to talk to Alex and I'm on my way to talk to Penny.

"Penn? Can I come in?" I asked softly, knocking. She mumbled something under her breath so I pushed the door open. The room had a layer of dust too it and the curtains were drawn closed, so there was no light. I kept the door open slightly so I had some sense of direction.

"I know you don't feel anything at the moment-" I paused, "But we need to say goodbye." Penny shuffled in her street, her blonde hair sticking out. "You guys need to shower, you need to eat and we need to move on."

"I don't want to move on, Elle. He's the love of my life. We're the only humans left and mine's gone! Back off and stop being a bitch!" She growled, kicking me off the bed. I sighed and got up, "I buried him in the backyard last night. If you wanna go and talk to him."

The hallway seemed so long as I walked down it. Penny's room was opposite ours, with The bathroom in between it. It took officially, 9 steps from our room to the toilet, and 12 steps from our room to Penny's. 

But it felt like ages. I'm walking on eggshells, I say the wrong thing and I get snapped at. Which I understand, it's my fault. And I blame myself. I shouldn't feel sorry for myself!

I opened my bedroom door. I was surprised to see the bed empty - not made, but empty. "Paxton?" I called, opening the black-out curtains we had put up months before. A figure emerged and I got a fright, my heartrate rising, "You scared me." I said. 

He kissed my cheek, "I'm sorry." He mumbled. He was holding something and I realised it was an empty plate. Well, at least he's eating. "Do you want me to make you something?" I asked him, following his body down the stairs, "No. I'm not hungry." 

I nodded. He walked a little bit faster so I just left him be. 

I knocked on Megan's door, hoping they'd be awake, "Come in." I heard. I saw Megan first, she had flushed features and wide eyes as she held the baby in her arms. I opened the door wider and watched Alex pull his shirt over his head before he shoved right past me, almost making me fall over.

I regained myself and closed the door, "Are you okay? You look pale." I asked, placing the back of my hand against her forehead, "I'm okay. Just... tired." She smiled, "Are you sure? Have you been eating? Drinking water, it's really important after having a baby." 

She nodded and pointed to the cups and waterbottles by the side of her bed.

"Good. How's he doing?" I ask, brushing his soft little head, "He's good, I think. My milk came in, so at least he won't keep me up half the night crying because he's hungry." She chuckled.

His little eyes were close and I so longed for them to be open so he can see the world.

"Is Alex helping out?" I say quietly. She nods, "Yeah. He does the best he can. He held him while I slept for a few hours. But he needs the rest." She said.

"So do you. Don't forget that new Mommie's need taking care of too, you know." 

Megan put her head down, rocking back and forth on her heel for a bit. When she looked up again her eyes had tears in them. Her lip quivered, "I just don't know if I can do this. Especially not without him. I know he's hurting right now but I can't do this on my own, Elle. I don't know what I'm doing." She whispered, her voice breaking.

I feel for her, my heart shook, "Do you want me to take him? So you can get some sleep? Get some you time?" I asked. She shook her head, "No I couldn't put that on you." She said, "Megan, I'm offering. Honestly it's fine. Penny is made at me, Paxton doesn't even look at me- it'll be nice to have some distractions." I smiled.

She sniffled and wiped her nose, "Only if you're sure." I took the baby from her and wrapped him in my eyes, "Riley's excited to play with him." I said, "It'll be nice for them to play together when they're older." She said.

Megan had dark circles under her eyes and she looked tired, "Look, why don't you have a shower, have some tea or coffee and then get some rest. I can handle these guys, promise." 

I left Megan alone and headed downstairs, calling Riley's name.

His eyes went wide as he saw I had the baby, "Can I play with him?" He asked, "We have to be very gentle." 

I placed the baby on the small thick blanket that was hanging over the dining room chair. We were in the living room. Riley was talking to the baby, telling him about shapes and colors - getting most of them wrong but it's the thought that counts, right? 

I watched them from afar, keeping an eye on Penny who was sitting next to Paxton's freshly dug grave.

* * *

hey

what did you think of this chapter???