|25| My Fears Unfolded

PRINCE DAEGAN

Man of many fears

I KNEW WHAT to look out for. I had one primary goal which should make me more focused if not for the nostalgia that threatens to overwhelm me. From walking down the palace steps to the familiar sight of my family at it's table, to the familiar dances. 

It feels like a dream. 

A dream I'm not ready for if the way I'm reacting is any indicator of how weak I've become for all the beauties the Palace has to offer.

And I've not even started with how delicious the food is tonight. I can't remember when the foods tasted so good, it takes more effort than I realise to slowly take a bite of each dish, and more often than not, when I'm done, I'm mildly irritated at the small portion sizes. 

I'm almost too distracted by everything, and every so often, I'd force myself to scan the crowd. I'd already spotted Fabianne's boyfriend. 

I don't like him.

It's not because my sister might be dating him.

There's something a little too familiar about him. 

I glance at Fabianne who's watching the 'dances' with interest, but I see her eyes trail to the tall blond. I know what else she's looking at. 

Fabianne stands up, eyes a little distant. I stand with her.

Bingo. 

I'm not surprised when she tries to give me the slip with her friend, some Princess that I can't remember and probably have met before. I expect this. Instead of trailing after her, I set my eyes on the blond man with long hair. It'll be easier to track someone who isn't expecting you.

I planned it all in my head. My mother wasn't wrong when she came to see me, knowing full well I'll be able to be on top of the situation. 

Have you ever had that moment when things feel a little too right? 

I'm not talking about my suit, the smell of food that makes my mouth water or the predictability of this situation. I'm talking about that small moment that happens to almost all of us when the air turns a little too tight, and your throat clogs up because suddenly everything's slipping out of control and you're losing grip on what once was a controlled situation. 

Because I felt it the minute my eyes accidentally locked with my older brother, Adaliz. Whom I love very much but whose face was the last thing I wanted to see right now.

"Daegan," Adaliz says in greeting, he misses the panic in my face because Adaliz doesn't know what's going on. He doesn't realise that our little sister is walking out into the arms of a man who gives her a pocket knife, whose name neither of us has heard her speak.

"Do you need me for anything?" I reply so panicked I didn't realise, I'd slipped into one of our silent ways of communication in the eyes of the world. 

"Yes," Adaliz says, "it's on Fabianne's surprise."

I glance away, the blond man is walking out. "Can this wait?" I ask. How else am I supposed to leave with Adaliz looking at me like that. 

Adaliz doesn't understand what's going on, instead his hand touched my arm lightly. I peel my eyes away, I know or I can estimate where Fabianne is going. "I want to know what's going on, Daegan." His voice is soft, puzzled and filled with overwhelming care that startles me.