[5]

Unfortunately Rose learned at a young age that not everything goes her way. For example, Uncle Vernon wasn't going down without a fight.

  "Haven't I told you she's not going!" Vernon hissed. "She's going to Stonewall High and she'll be grateful for it. I've read those letters and he needs all sorts of rubbish - spell books and wands and -" but Vernon was cut off by Hagrid.

  "If she wants ter go, a great Muggle like you won't stop her, Stop Lilly and James Potter's daughter from goin' ter Hogwarts! Yer mad. Her name's been down ever since she was born. She's be off to the finest school of witchcraft and wizardry in the world. Seven years there and she won't know herself. Rose'll be with youngsters of her own sort, fer a change, an' she'll be under the protection of the greatest headmaster Hogwarts ever had, Albus Dumbled-" But Hagrid couldn't continue because Uncle Vernon burst.

  "I AM NOT PAYING FOR SOME CRACKPOT OLD FOOL TO TEACH HER MAGIC TRICKS!" Yelled Uncle Vernon. But he had finally gone to far. Hagrid seized his umbrella and whirled it over his head. "NEVER - INSULT - ALBUS - DUMBLEDORE - IN - FRONT - OF - ME!" 

  Hargrid brought the Umbrella swishing down through the air to point at Dudley - there was a flash of violet light, a sound like a firecracker, a sharp squeal, and the next second, Dudley was dancing on the spot with his hands clasped over his fat butt howling in pain.

  When he turned his back to them, Rose could finally see why - Dudley had grown a curly pig's tail, and it was picking up from his trousers. Uncle Vernon shouted, pulling aunt Petunia and Dudley into the other room and with one last frightened look slammed the door shut.

  Hagrid stroked his beard, panicking slightly. "Shouldn'ta lost me temper," he said ruefully. "But it didn't work anyway, Meant to turn him into a pig, but I suppose he was so much like a pig anyway there wasn't much left ter do." 

  He cast a sideways look at Rose under his bushy eyebrows. "Be grateful if yeh didn't mention that ter anyone at Hogwarts, I'm- er - not supposed to be magic if it isn't strictly Hogwarts business." Hagrid admitted.

  "Why aren't you supposed to do magic?" questioned Rose curiously. 

  "Oh, well- I was at Hogwarts meself but I- er- got expelled, ter tell yeh the truth. In me third year. They snapped me wand in half an' everything. But Dumbledore let me stay as a gamekeeper, great man, Dumbledore." Hagrid praised and admired Dumbledore so much, Rose couldn't wait to meet him.

    "Oh - well why were you expelled?" She asked but Hagrid dismisses her question.

   "It's gettin' late and we've got lots ter do tomorrow." He said loudly changing the subject. He took off his long black coat and threw it at Rose . "You can sleep under that." Hagrid said, after noticing the lack of blankets around. 

  Hagrid felt like the father Rose never had, in a weird, I just met this guy sort of way.

—-

  Rose woke up early the next morning. Although she could tell it was daylight, she kept her eyes shut tight. "It was a dream." She told herself firmly. "I dreamed of a giant named Hagrid came to tell me that I was going to a school for wizards. When I open my eyes, I'll be at home in my cupboard." She said.

  There was suddenly a loud tapping noise. And there's Aunt Petunia knocking on the door. Rose thought, her heart sinking. But she still didn't open her eyes. It had been such a good dream.

Tap. Tap. Tap.

  "All right, All right. I'm getting up." Rose mumbled lazily. She sat up and  Hagrid's heavy coat fell off her.