[11]

''I don't get him, if I'd brought a toad I'd lose it as fast as I could. Mind you, I brought Scabbers, so I can't talk.'' The rat was now peacefully sleeping on Rose's lap after Ron had started to complain about him.

   Ron had started to talk about the round-faced boy a few moments after said boy was gone.

  ''He might've even died and you wouldn't even know the difference,'' Said Ron in disgust. ''I tried turning him yellow yesterday to make him more interesting, but the spell didn't work. I'll show you, look . . .'' 

  He rummaged around his trunk and pulled out a very battered-looking wand. It was chipped in places and something white was glinting at the end.    ''Unicorn's hair nearly poking out. Anyway-'' 

  He had just raised his wand when the compartment door slipped open again.

  The toad-faced boy was back, but this time he had a friend with him. She was already wearing his Hogwarts robes. ''Have any of you seen a Toad? Neville's lost one.'' She said. She had a bossy kind of voice, frilly brown hair and rather pretty brown eyes.

  Ron rolled his eyes. ''We've already told him we haven't seen it,'' But the girl wasn't listening, she was looking at Rose as if Ron didn't exist.

   Only then did the girl realize Ron was staring at him, he turned around to face Ron and saw the wand in his hand. ''Oh, are you doing magic? Let's see it then.'' She sat down, Ron looked taken aback. ''Eh- Alright.'' He cleared his throat.

''Sunshine, Daisies, butter Mellow

Turn this stupid, rat fat yellow.''

  He waved his wand, but nothing happened. Scabbers stayed grey and fast asleep. ''Are you sure that's a real spell?'' questioned the boy.

   ''Well it's not a very good one, is it? I've tried a few simple spells just for practice, but they've all worked for me, for example,'' she took out his wand and raised it to meet Rose's broken glasses and said, ''Oculos Reparo.''

   And in an instant, the scotch tape surrounding her rimmed glasses was gone and they were good as new. 

  Rose gasped in surprise. ''Nobody in my family's magic at all, it was ever such a surprise when i got my letter, but I was ever so pleased, of course, I mean, it's the very best school of Witchcraft there is, I've heard- I've learned all our course books by heart, of course, I just hope it will be enough - I'm Hermione Granger, by the way, who are you?' She said all this very fast.

  Rose looked at Ron, and was relieved to see by his stunned face that he hadn't learnt all the the course books by heart either. ''Rose Potter,'' said Rose. 

  ''Are you really?'' Asked Hermionie. ''I know all about you, of course - I got few extra books for background reading, and you're in Modern Magical History and The Rise and Fall of the Dark Arts and Great Wizarding events of the Twentieth Century."

  ''Am I?'' said Rose, feeling a bit dazed. ''Goodness, if you didn't know, I'd have found out everything I could if it were me,'' said Hermione. 

  ''And you are?'' She asked Ron in distaste. ''Ron Weasley.'' Ron grumbled.

   Hermione sneered, ''Pleasure.'' Shee then turned back to face Rose, ''Do either of you know what house you'll be in? I've been asking around, and I hope I'm in Gryffindor, it sounds by far the best; I hear Dumbledore himself was in it, but i suppose Ravenclaw wouldn't be too bad. . . Anyway, we'd better go and look for Neville's toad. You too better change, you know, I expect we'll be there soon.''