[8]

The last place Rose needed to go was Ollivanders to get her wand, it wasn't a shock that this is what Rose had been looking forward too since Hagrid mentioned it.

  The shop was narrow and shabby. Peeling gold letters over the door read Ollivanders: Makers of Fine Wands since 382 b.c. 

  A single wand lay on a faded purple cushion in the dusty window.

  Rose felt strangely that she had just entered a very strict library. 

  She swallowed a lot of new questions that had just entered her mind. 

  "Good afternoon." said a soft voice. 

  Rose jumped.

   A man standing before her, his wide, pale eyes shining like moons through the gloom of the shop. 

  "Hello." Said Rose awkwardly waving. 

  "Ah yes, yes. I thought I'd be seeing you soon. Rose Potter." It wasn't a question. "You have your mother's eyes. It seems only yesterday she was here himself, buying her first wand, ten and a quarter inches long, swishy, made of willow. Nice wand for a charm work" 

  Mr. Ollivander moved closer to Rose. A little bit too close. "Your father, on the other hand, had favored a mahogany wand. Eleven inches. Pliable. A little more Power and excellent for transfiguration. Well I say your father favored it - it's really the wand that chooses the wizard." Mr Ollivander had come so close that he and Rose were almost nose to nose.

  He placed a hand on Rose's scar. "And that's where . . . I'm sorry to say, I sold the wand that did it." Ollivanders sighed at the missed opportunity. 

  "Thirteen-and-a-half inches. Yes. Powerful wand, very powerful, and in the wrong hands. . . Well, if I'd known why that wand was going out into the world to do. . ." He shook his head and to Rose's relief, backed away.

  "But enough of that, let's get started on your wand shall we?" He pulled out a long tape measure. "Which is your wand arm?" he asked.

   "Er- well I'm right handed." said Rose. "Hold our your arm,- that's it." 

  He measured Rose from Shoulder to finger; then wrist to elbow, shoulder to floor, knee to armpit and round his head. 

  As he measured, he said, "Every Ollivander wand has a powerful magical substance, Miss Potter. We use unicorn hairs, Phoenix tail feathers, and the heartstrings of dragons. No two Ollivander wands are the same, just as no two unicorns, dragons, or phoenixes are quite the same. And of course, you will never get as good results with another wizard's wand." 

  Rose suddenly realized that the tape measure, which was measuring between her nostrils, was doing this on its own while Mr. Ollivander was flirting around the shelves, taking down boxes.

  "That will do," he said and the tape measure crumpled into a heap onto the floor. "Right then Miss Potter, Rey this one. Beechwood and dragon heartstring. Nine inches. Nice and flexible. Just take it and give it a wave." 

  Rose took the wand feeling foolish waved it around a bit, but Mr. Ollivander snatched it out of her hand almost at once. 

  "Maple and phoenix feather. Seven inches. Quite whippy. Try-"

   Rose tried- but she couldn't find the right wand.

   None of then were working for her, either Ollivander would snatch it out of her grip or she would destroy something in the shop, which Ollivander tried to reassure her was completely normal and that she didn't do anything wrong.

  But strangely, Ollivander seemed to get more excited every time Rose wouldn't get the right wand.

   He had an idea, so he went to the back of the shop, Rose could hear the cluttering of boxes. 

  'That's it! I knew it, I'm not a real witch! Bye, bye hopes and dreams. . .'   Rose thought defeatedly. 

  Suddenly, Ollivander returned from the back of the shop, this time with a black box that was thinner than the others, the wand itself seemed to admit power from its hold.

  Rose took the wand. 

  She felt a sudden warmth through his fingers.

   She raised the wand above her head, brought it swishing down, and a stream of red and gold sparks shot from the end like a firework. 

  Rose was shocked at the bright and beautiful light, while Ollivander clapped happily and cried. "Oh, bravo! Yes, indeed, oh very good. Well, well, well. . . How curious, very curious. . ." Ollivander muttered. "I beg your pardon, but, what is so curious?" Rose thought something was wrong with her wand- or worse, her.

  He took Rose's wand and put it in a brown bag of sorts. "Well Miss Potter, I remember every single wand I have ever sold. And it just so happens that the Phoenix whose tail feather is in your wand, gave another feather- just one other. It is very curious in deed that you should be destined for this wand when it's brother, gave you that scar." Rose swallowed. 

  "Yes, thirteen and a half inches. Yew. Curious indeed how these things happen. The wand chooses the wizard, remember. . . I think we must expect great things from you, Miss Potter.. after all, he-who-must-not-be-named did great things- terrible, yes, but great." 

  Rose shivered but slightly glared at the man. "I-I'm sorry, but I hardly consider killing my parents great." She replied coldly. 

  Ollivander chuckled a bit at the sight, "I apologize Miss Potter, I crossed the line." Rose's angry expression softened, but she had no clue what to say so she simply paid for her wand and left the shop.

  Soon she and Hagrid met up outside the shop. They both walked out of Diagon Ally together, they got a train to 4th Pivet drive, and Hagrid flew away, leaving Rose with two traumatized pigs and a mad giraffe..