Part 13:The Girl That's the Death of Me

(A/N: I know, I'm fabulous, the first chapter solely in Kei's perspective so his Tsundere shows)

I pat the blonde before me lightly on the head as I stare at her bright smile that's always hiding some deep pain. I don't even know if the shorty knows that the pain is there, I think she ignores it until it explodes inside her. She's incredible, that smile even Sugawara-senpai believes to be real, the mother figure can't even read past it. It makes me wonder exactly how long she's pasted on a beautiful smile to hide her pain and anger. How long has it been since her eyes didn't show a slightly broken girl inside? 

She good at hiding it, nobody else can see it, so why can I? That's the question I first asked myself when she smiled out at the class with the most brilliant smile and the slightest American accent. She captivated me from the start so why can't I even tell her, why can't I say the words that go with what I feel? Because I'm afraid of losing the one person I know would never leave anyone, a girl who was kind enough to a salty guy like me. She's too much for me to handle, my heart will seep with these feelings until it bursts, and then my hopes of us being together will be crushed.

Crap I'm all sweaty from running after her! If she asks it's because Yama- I start to think and am cut off by the female in question. "Kei did you run after me! That's so uncharacteristically sweet of you! Are you on drugs or something!?" She asks teasingly for the last part and I smirk down at the girl.

"You wish Klutz, I was after Yamaguchi. He still had my (Crap Kei what?! What did he have!? My keys! He usually picks up my keys for me because I leave them behind randomly! He should have them! Crap I have them! The one day I remember my damn keys!) wallet from when I made him go get me some coffee," I told her, thankful for the fact that I remembered something of mine that Yamaguchi had. Usually, he has something of mine on him, we are practically attached at the hip. I took my wallet from Yamaguchi and noticed that Natalie was blushing and looking at the ground shyly, something so out of character for her that I almost didn't tease her about it. Keyword: almost.

"Natalie are you looking at your shoes! That's so uncharacteristically shy of you! Are you drunk or something?" I ask in a teasing voice and she looks up at me with an eye roll.

"Just as I was about to thank you too, you are a jerk!" I hear her mumble and when I hear that I give her a smug look, masking my shock and conflicting emotions. 

"What was that? Thank me? You got it all wrong shrub. I stopped those girls because I knew you wouldn't stop bugging me about how sorry you were for saying that stuff to me," I say cooly before walking back to the hospital with Yamaguchi and Natalie talking behind me.

I hated to admit it but, I was seething with anger on the inside that the girl I fell so hard for was practically ignoring me to talk to my best friend but, on the outside, I'm cooler than a cucumber. That was until I heard a question I wasn't meant to hear. "Why were you crying?" I hear Yamaguchi ask her and I feel an icicle pierce my heart.

"I'll tell you when the beanpole can't hear me, I don't feel like being teased on something like this." I hear the girl admit and I see her older brother pull up next to us in a car as I feel myself starting to lose control of my cool demeanor. I pull my headphones on and start listening to Chuck Berry, soaking up all his good vibes to prevent myself from diving too deep in the sadness. 

"Imōto! There you are! Oh and Otōto's here too! Who's this?" I see him ask, secretly thankful for my ability to read lips. The tall brunette proceeds to ask my best friend as we just stand out there in the cold. It seems to be getting too Natalie though, she's shivering, I should lend her my jacket. I think as the girl suddenly pulls off my headphones.

"Come on Kei! My brother's gonna give you and Yamaguchi a ride home!" I hear the small girl say to me with a smile and all I want to do is feel that smile against my lips. I quickly snap that thought out my head and let out a slight sigh before looking at the man.