Chapter 3

"Girl!" Mia barely stopped herself before she let out a scream in the cafeteria.

Mia was my only cousin from my mother's side. We went to the same school and now same college. So I decided it was only fair that I tell her about the whole marriage thing.

Knowing Mia, she would probably tell everyone in my class unless I explain everything to her. So after I was done, she seemed... Excited?

"I thought you'd hate me for getting married to him!" I whined, almost complaining.

"Listen, he might have been a jack ass back in high school but girl, was he a hawty!" She fanned herself.

Why didn't I see this coming?

"When is the wedding? What's the theme? I gotta buy my bridesmaid dress and Oh. I would love to be your maid of honour by the way." She spoke at 10 miles per hour speed whenever she was excited. And it was my wedding. We'd been planning this since our childhood.

If only it was with a man I actually loved.

"Jess?" Her frantic talking stopped when she noticed that I wasn't really listening. "You okay?"

"It just feels wrong, Mia." I sighed. "My wedding wasn't supposed to be like this. Not when I'm still hung  over Junmyeon."

"And I'm not even given a choice in this. If I don't do this, father won't even hesitate to cut me off. Plus, our family's lives are at stake, I can't just say no." I covered my face with both my hands out of frustration.

"Jessica Young. You really need to start looking on the bright sides of life." She moved my hand from my face firmly. "If your asshole of an ex can't even tell you why he left you, i think it's perfect for you to go ahead and get married. Bet that asshole won't see this coming." She smirked.

I chuckled. "Well, it is the greatest revenge plan for ex boyfriends." I shrugged.

"Now, when is the wedding? Who is doing the wedding plans?" Giddy Mia was back.

"It's sunday. I told mother I want no part of the planning hassel, I've got a history test the day before the wedding."

"I can't believe you just said that." She shook her head in disappointment. "What kind of a woman worries over a damn test....." She trailed off, her eyes fixated behind me.

"If that is the man you're going to marry, then you've hit the jackpot, bitch." I looked back to see what had caused Mia's usually tight jaw to hit the floor.

Baekhyun in a white button up and black dress pants, radiating his handsome glory all over the place and walking to our table. 

"He's only handsome until he opens his mouth." I rolled my eyes and scoffed.

"Good morning, ladies." Baekhyun stood in front the table and put his hands in his pocket.

"Don't mind me, Mia. I'm just here to fetch my fiancé." He smirked at me, knowing how much that nickname annoys me. 

"What the fuck happened to you?" Mia was still having trouble picking up her jaw from the floor apparently. "And why do you smell so good?" Her tone was accusing. If I wasn't already pissed, I would've laughed at her amazement towards Baekhyun.

Baekhyun flashed a cocky smile and I swear could hear the heartbreaks of half the girls and boys in the cafeteria. There was just something about his laugh that I couldn't possibly hate.

"Why are you so preppy?" I made myself sound as disinterested as possible. 

"Well, it is my first time going shopping with my fiance so I thought I'd put some effort." He mocked. Or that's just his usual tone. I couldn't even tell anymore.

"Thanks for the compliments, Mia. But we have to go now." His eyes met mine.

I stood up with my coffee in hand. "Where are you going? I thought you had classes." Mia squinted her eyes at us.

"We're going ring shopping. She insisted." Baekhyun shrugged.

Mia threw me a look of disbelief. 

"What? I'll have to wear it all the time, might as well just choose it." I tried to defend myself. 

Baekhyun took my wrists and started walking backwards. "Wear something golden. And don't bring a date cause my best man will be more than happy to keep you company." He winked at Mia and turned right back.

Mia is so gonna kill me.

****************************************************************

"How about this one?" The man held up the 5th ring since we came in. "8 mm cushion Moissanite stone with a halo setting-" 

"Let me stop you right there." I interfered, "The stone is too big. I want something a little more....simple."

"Hey, this one is nice." Baekhyun  called from the other side of the store.

I walked over and Baekhyun turned to me with the ring in his hand. And I stopped in my tracks.

It was...beautiful. There was no other way to describe it. It was the one. I didn't even have to put it on to know that it'd feel perfect. It was gorgeous. But that was also the problem. It was gorgeous and I couldn't afford to have something so gorgeous in my hand that wasn't given to me by someone special.

"I'm not trying to let the whole college know I'm married, you know." I spoke up after a while, looking away from the ring. The hopeful look from his face slowly vanished, replaced by a scowl.

"That one." I pointed at another one. "That one looks fine. It's simple, the stone is small enough. I'll take this one." I looked up to see Baekhyun scowling at the ring.

"You really expect me to marry you with this cheap looking ring and let my family name go to hell, huh?" His tone was bitter.

"Ehem." The store guy cleared his throat. "This ring would be 5 thousand dollars, Sir."

Baekhyun snapped his neck to the guy's direction, clearly agitated. "And that's how much I earn every 15 minutes so why don't you mind your own fucking business?" His jaw tightened and his hand on the counter clenched.

Then he turned to me and raised one eyebrow. "Well?"

"I'm not going to change my mind." I deadpanned. "5 thousand is expensive enough for me. Here, I'll put it on." I completely ignored the annoyance on his face and took the ring.

" I completely ignored the annoyance on his face and took the ring

"It looks alright. What do you think?"

Baekhyun rolled his eyes and scoffed. "You don't care anyways so let's just take it and go." Then he practically threw his black credit card on the guy's face.

"If our parents ask questions, remember it's you who insisted." He met my gaze head on, his shoulders set.

"Aw, is baekkie afraid of his parents?" I cooed and I swear I saw him loose it for a nano second.

"Whatever, let's get the fuck out of here." Then he started walking away.

So...that went pretty smoothly. But I wish I could say the same about the wedding day.

*******************************************************************************