Chapter 4

"I can't believe this." Mia huffed. "You didn't invite Mark? MARK? Your second best friend?!"

I sighed. We've been going over this for the third time. "If I did invite him, I'd actually have to tell him why I'm getting married. That means he gets mixed up in this mess which I don't want."

"Besides," I smiled at the lady who just fixed my veil and left the room. "Given how he feels for me, I don't imagine he'd take this whole thing too well."

Yes. Unlike some blindly dumb people, I actually knew how he felt about me. I saw him gradually growing those feelings for me, always being the shoulder I cried on, being the one who made me laugh on my hardest days, having junk food with me whenever I pms'ed too hard, just being there for me. He was my best friend. I could read him like no one could. And I knew this news would crush him.

"So you don't plan on telling him ever?" Mia threw her hands up in the air in frustration.

"I will. When the time is right." I stood up from in front of the mirror and turned around to face Mia.

"Well?" 

"You're gorgeous already, bitch." A smile was tugging at the corner of her mouth. "The fancy wedding dress is just a bonus."

She threw her slim hands around me and faked a sob. "This may all be forced on you but I'm still happy you're getting married."

"Forced?" A thunderous voice cut through our happy little moment and we jumped a little in surprise.

"Uncle." Mia squeaked out, obviously a little scared by my father's sudden appearance. I needed to jump in and save her.

"Mia, why don't you go now, I think it's almost time." I smiled a little at her as relief visibly washed over her face. She didn't even meet anyone's eyes as she left the room.

"My little Jess." A fond smile covered my father's features as he walked towards me. "You look beautiful."

"I don't have another choice, do I?" I smiled. The "thanks to you my life is gone to hell" kind of smile.

"Why would you say that?" His smile slowly faded.

"You said I have to do this to stay alive. ALIVE!" I stressed the last word. I was trying so hard to keep my composure but every time my father pretended that this was all okay, I lost it. My head hurt from all the anger and the pent up frustration.

"You do realize how fucked up all this is, right?! I am a college senior, staying alive should be the least of my concerns! I should be living my life the way I want to but that's impossible because you chose to run a fucking drug cartel as a job." I spat with as much venom as possible.

"You didn't even bother asking me if I'm okay with this. Did you know that I had a boyfriend that I actually loved? No, because you don't even care about the life that I have outside all of this illegal family bullshit."

Honestly, a tiny part of me was surprised at myself for being this brave in front of my father. I've never talked to him like this, hell, we barely talked. But I've had just enough of his shit.

Even he was taken aback apparently, he just stood there with his usual stone cold look. The lines on his face unreadable as always.

He opened his mouth to speak but closed them. A few seconds later, he broke the silence.

"We should get going, it's time." As if on queue, the music started playing.

I took a deep breath to calm myself and checked myself one last time in the mirror. "Let's go." I breathed and took his hands.

Then we walked in front of the huge door of the wedding venue. It slowly opened.

Everyone stood up as my father slowly walked me to the doom of my life.

************************************

"If I spend another minute in this dress, I'll explode." I greeted out between clenched teeth while smiling.

The whole thing was almost over. We had just finished seeing some of the guests off.

Mia patted my back. "Told you to cut-down on the donuts a little bit, boo. The dress would've fit better." She whispered.

I was so jealous of Mia right now. Her golden satin dress was backless with spaghetti straps, she was getting all the air she needed. Whereas I....never mind.

"You wanted me to give up donuts, the only thing that's fucking good about my lif-"

"Ladies." Baekhyun was walking over to where we were sitting after the wedding dinner, a taller man with him.

I had to double take for the nth time that day cause Baekhyun in a wedding tux should've been illegal. I hated to admit it but that was just what it was.

"I'm afraid you haven't officially met, this is my right hand man, one of my good friends, Sehun." He introduced the other person who offered his hand for a handshake to me.

Straight nose, sharp eyes, devastatingly tall, smooth skin : I swear he was made out of every girls daydream.

"It's nice to meet you, Jess." He flashed a sweet smile.

I smiled back. Then he turned to Mia, who was currently busy oggling Sehun with her eyes which she has been doing almost the whole ceremony.

"And this is-"

"Mia." She beat Baekhyun to it. "I'm Mia, nice meeting you." She smiled. And I knew that smile all too well.

Girl's got loooove on her mind.

"You too, Mia." He smiled back at her and they're eyes were on each other for a while.

I swear you could cut the sexual tension here with a goddamn butter knife.

Baekhyun cleared his throat. "Alright, Sehun, that's enough for one night, we should get going now." He teased him. Then he looked at me. "I'm sure we're all tired."

I gave him a small nod.

"Have the suitcase put in my car, Sehun." He patted Sehun's shoulder, they both nodded in a silent agreement.

Sehun smiled one last time at me and walked to his table. From under his chair, he casually brought out a suitcase and disappeared with it.

"Weird", I thought to myself.

"Let's go then, Jessica." He took his coat off the chair beside me. "The car should be this way."

We had barely took 10 steps when a huge explosion shook us to our core, literally.

Naturally, Our first instinct was to duck down on the ground, Baekhyun's arms came around my waist somehow.

It took us 10 seconds to realise that the sound didn't go off inside the venue, it was from the outside.

Baekhyun helped me gather up my huge ass dress and we stood up.

He grabbed a gun from his shoulder holster and cocked it.

"Go to your dressing room, Jess. Wait for me there, whatever happens don't come out." His voice was dead serious, his grip tightened on my forearm for a second, he didn't even wait for me reply and ran off.

I collected a very startled Mia from the ground who was a few steps behind me and ran as fast as I could in a wedding gown to my destination.

It wasn't until midnight when I got to know what actually happened.

*************************************