Chapter 38 - You Are Not Alone

The day was undeniably gloomy.

It will be the words Error would have said if someone asked how today was. He should have a training with Dream today but a messenger told him directly that it was cancelled. It was strange but not unwelcome. He doesn't feel like getting up anyway. He stared out the window, unconsciously gripping the scarf he made for Ink and running his other hand on the vials in the sash that rested on his lap. He felt the soft bed underneath him but it felt cold without someone to share it with.

It was not like it was a bad thing. At least Ink was safe. He could take a hatred, it wasn't the first time he was spat with it. His eye socket twitched when he remembered the voices and snarl of many universes everytime he came to destroy one. It wasn't uncommon although it did hurt more than the first time someone hated him.

What would have Ink said if he found out that he was going to be given to Dream and Error doesn't know what to do?

'What do you mean you don't know?'

Ink was expecting him to do the planning and if he can't counter Dream then the artist should just go even if he hated him.

He never trusted anybody. How should he suppose to trust them? He already knew what to do. He'd rather do something on his own instead of making them do something because if something bad happened, the blame was on him again.

So it enstranged him when Ink said that he could do anything for Error, that he was useful. Error had been telling the other what to do ever since they made a promise to go home together. If he didn't, Ink would act on his own. He didn't hear the other complain because he never told the whole plan and only ordered him what he should do in it. More or less, he could only see Ink as a pawn in their plan, not an actual partner. He didn't dare make a mistake or tell him 'I don't know' though. That would spark a shatter of expectation from Ink and bring back another failure to him.

He knew many could see through the fake smile. He could see Blue giving him concern gazes as he brought his food and he knew the servant missed Ink. The Generals were all looking at him with either worry or disgust, he didn't care. Martial didn't even visit him two days before, the other was worried too.

His thoughts were snapped out as the door creaked open. It was slow and Error wondered why they didn't knock. He turned towards the door to see Martial, poking his head inside. He spotted Error and waved at him with a smile.

"What brings you here, Seventh?" Error asked as he stood up and put Ink's things on the table.

'You've been sad.' Martial said as he slipped inside the room.

"I am fine, I will be, do not bother." He said politely.

'I want to see you smile.' Error smiled but Martial pouted. 'Not that, a real one. You are no good at lying at all.'

Fourth dropped it quickly. "What do you want?"

'A surprise?' Martial said with an excited grin.

"Surprise?" Error echoed back while Martial went outside to get it.

Seventh came back, slowly taking steps inside with someone. The destroyer was surprise at the figure stepping inside the room. His gaze immediately fell on the collar and his breath hitched.

That's my collar. I thought-

No doubt it was the black one, the very first Ink wore here. Martial was beside him, shaking his hands as if presenting Ink like a new product of some sorts. He looked at Martial with wonder.