Chapter 4

The weekend past quickly and in no time it was Monday morning. I wasn't feeling as nervous as I should have been for my first lecture of the year, and I think it was because I was finally learning how to take a chill pill. For the first time in my life, I barely had any obligations and therefore barely any stress. 

No football training, no business meetings I was forced to tag along to, no driving my brothers and their little friends to the next fad. None of it. I was allowed to think about what normal teenage guys think about, like parties and girls. 

Speaking of, I was kinda hoping I would see that Victoria again at uni. I mean she came to the club so that meant she should be a student; she could even be in a couple of my classes. 

After the night I saw her I hadn't really thought about her much, if I was being honest. I mean yeah she was gorgeous but I hadn't even spoken to the girl, so it wasn't like I would just start obsessing over her like that. But I was curious. I wanted to know what she was all about, why people either seemed to worship her or despise her, and if she'd consider a guy like me. I mean a man can dream, right? 

Hopefully the British accent could do my job for me. I wasn't particularly the most interesting person and a lot of times girls only liked me for my looks, not realising that I was pretty boring and serious. But maybe that would change with my new life, who knows. 

I gave myself a good amount of time to find the right lecture hall for my first class that morning, which meant that I got there pretty early. I took a seat at the back of the large auditorium, getting out a notebook as I surveyed the massive room around me. As someone who had never been to a university lecture and never thought they would, I was slightly spellbound by how professional and intimidating it looked upon first glance. I'm sure I would get used to it soon. 

As I was early the hall only had a few scattered clusters of people sitting down. I didn't recognise anyone which I wasn't surprised about; but there was one group of guys sitting a few rows in front who stood out from the rest already, purely because of the noise they were making. 

I wasn't a loud person but I liked to think I could have a few upbeat conversations. However, none of these ever happened before eleven o'clock at the earliest, and I thought it was common place to be quieter in the mornings. 

But these guys clearly didn't get the memo: every word they spoke was as clear as day to anyone nearby. 

"Oh you should've seen the hottie I scored Saturday night," one of them piped up and I began to cringe. He didn't particularly sound the most intelligent, but then again that must've been just a show as he'd got into university. "She was the best I'd had in a while I'll tell you that." 

"Where did this happen?" 

"I met her at Devs." This got my attention slighty: Devs was the campus club which meant I would've been there to possibly see this guy in 'action'. 

"What's her name?" 

He smirked and looked triumphantly up at the other guys. "Vic Grange." 

I felt my stomach drop, and my eyes widened in shock. For some reason hearing that he had slept with Victoria made my spirits take a nosedive. It shouldn't have; I was being ridiculous. I hadn't even talked to the girl yet. But I guess it was just the fact that I felt like we shared a moment, and maybe if I had made a bit more of an effort despite her fan club that lucky guy could've been me. 

Suddenly there was a burst of raucous laughter from the group of guys and I regained concentration, bemused. 

"That is utter bullshit," one of the boys closest to the guy started, still chuckling. "There is no chance in hell she left that club with you last night." 

"I saw her leave with her friends," another one added. 

"And she got into a cab with them," a different source said. 

The boy who had been bragging before went red and started glaring at everyone. "Fine! I didn't score with her but I was close, and definitely will soon! She let me buy her a drink." 

Even I had to join in with the laughter then and I certainly wasn't the only one. What a sucker. I was almost certain the closest he would get to her if he believed stuff like that would be hanging with the rest of the fan club at the bleachers, strictly no touching allowed. The thought made me happy. I tried not to dwell too much on why it did. 

"Well you believe what you like mate, whatever makes you happy," someone else piped up, the mocking continuing. 

"Why wouldn't she go out with me? I mean look at this." He tensed his biceps and grinned at a bunch of girls sitting across from him, who all rolled their eyes. 

"She doesn't date freshman, Henry. Why would she when she could have anyone she wanted?" 

"I'll be the first exception," Henry said shamelessly, ignoring the teasing. 

I didn't share his confidence. His friend was probably right: the likelihood of a stunning girl like her dating someone younger seemed like a complete fantasy, and I felt stupid thinking any differently. It was probably just best to move on with my year and find enjoyment elsewhere. 

The teacher came through the door and began to set up his equipment, and his arrival finished the discussion. But as my first lecture began I couldn't help but let my mind wonder, my curiosity continuing to grow despite the advice I had given myself. Who really was this girl? And why was she such a topic of discussion, other than the fact she was hot? 

I knew there was something to find out and sadly I was already beginning to invest in discovering it, disregarding any common sense that may have held me back. I just didn't want to think about where it would lead me, if anywhere.