Chapter 20

During the next month Vic became a much more stable and permanent part of my life. My weeks consisted of hanging out with my friends, spending time with Vic, and between all that I managed to just about squeeze in my studies. I really was stretched for time, and I definitely wasn't complaining about it because I was having a lot of fun, but also I was falling behind a bit. 

The main problem was that Vic didn't seem that interested in hanging out with my friends, which meant my time was more divided. That was okay I guess, I mean I despised her uni mates and the feeling was mutual. They liked to send me frosty looks daily, blaming me for their idol ditching them finally. 

But I did see her other friends, or should I say her real ones. We went to The Trip quite regularly and everyone was pretty cool with me there, apart from Candy who would not take a hint. Whenever she flirted with me Vic looked ready to kill. 

Seeing her jealous wasn't the worst feeling in the world so I didn't particularly mind. 

I kinda wished Vic would at least try to hang out with some of my mates. Whenever I talked with her about it she just brushed it off or changed the conversation and although it irritated me slightly, I let it slide. We weren't even official yet so I couldn't really be annoyed. 

Besides, my friends weren't really bothered. Logan and Drake were still a bit pissed at her for ditching me and I knew they both thought I'd forgiven her too easily. The others were more interested in teasing me about her than actually getting to know her. 

The situation had been on my mind up until recently but something else started to bother me more as time went on, creeping into my mind as the year continued to move towards its end. 

It would be Christmas soon. 

Usually that would fill me up with excitement. I mean who didn't like Christmas? But this year was different. The festive season was supposed to be a time spent with family, and I still had no idea where I stood with them. Although I bet I could've had a good guess. 

It was time to give them a call. I'd put it off for so long. 

I dialled my mum's number on a nearby payphone. I didn't want to call from my phone just in case this went badly, and I was constantly bombarded by unwanted communications. I also didn't particularly want to talk to my dad yet. I really wasn't ready to face the guilt his voice would bring. 

After a few beeps a female voice answered. "Hello." 

Wow. I was expecting to feel sad but it was actually really nice to hear my mother's voice again. I didn't realise how much I'd missed her. "Hey Mum...it's me." 

"Jack?" She gasped after a small pause, as if she couldn't believe her ears. "Is that really you?" 

I smiled a little bit. "Yeah it is."

"Oh Jack." I could hear her voice wobbling a bit and I had to hold back a sigh. I really didn't want her getting emotional but I suppose I deserved it. "Its so good to hear from you, I miss you so much. You've had us worried sick!" 

I did sigh then. "I know. I'm sorry. But honestly I'm fine, in fact I'm doing really well." 

"I'm really glad," she got out, still sounding a bit unsteady but luckily keeping it together. "And we're also sorry for not letting you go to uni. Your friends were all going it was unfair to say you couldn't." 

"Thanks. I appreciate it. So how have you guys been anyway?" 

Now that I was talking with Mum I was feeling really nostalgic about home. I missed England, I missed my annoying little brothers, my friends, my parents, everything really. Apart from Anna of course. She could fly to Mars for all I cared. 

She laughed slightly. "We're fine...all the same really. Daniel and Sam are still making trouble, your Dad is still a workaholic. Nothing much has changed at all. I want to know about you! How's university? Your course? Your friends?" 

"Calm down Mum," I told her with a chuckle. "It's really good. My friends are awesome and really social so I'm always busy. My best mate here is my flatmate, which is really lucky, and there are loads of cute girls here in California so life is cool." I decided not to tell her about Vic yet; I didn't want the questions that would come with it. 

Her tone became puzzled. "Are you not with Anna anymore?" 

"Nope. I found out she cheated." 

"Oh," She sounded disappointed: my Mother was always a big fan of Anna's. "That's a shame but it was her loss." 

"Agreed," I nodded, before preparing myself to ask the million dollar question. "Is Dad angry with me?" 

She paused for a moment as if she was carefully thinking about her answer, and I knew I shouldn't have asked. The response would be obvious. 

"He was at first, darling. I mean you've gotta cut him a bit of slack: he didn't expect you to do that three days before you were meant to start at the company." Okay I knew the guilt trip would come at some point. "But I think he's calmed down a bit now. I'm not sure, we haven't really spoken about it." 

Translation: he was still pretty pissed. 

"Besides," she started again when I didn't respond. "When you come back to work at the company I'm sure it'll all be forgiven."

Hold on, what?

I'd run away to another continent to escape my father's company. Did they still seriously think I wanted to come back straight away, just like that?

For a moment I didn't say anything, gaping into the phone out of pure surprise, but then I finally found my voice and said the things I should've said before. "Mum...who said I was coming back to work for the company? Why do you think I went away in the first place?" 

"Well...I just presumed you wanted to see a bit of the world first, and then after that you'd come back. I mean you've gotta admit it's the most logical decision for everyone." 

I couldn't help myself at that moment: my temper flared. "Do you know what? I am so sick of you and Dad telling me how and what to do with my life. I'm an adult, I'm my own person, I should be given the chance to go my own way, pursue the career I want." 

"Where is all this coming from?" My Mother's temper also rose at the same time. "You've never complained about it before." 

"Yeah because I was never given the chance to! You guys just assumed and expected me to do what you wanted me to do." I closed my eyes in frustration, feeling a headache coming on. "You both need to accept that I'm not your server boy anymore, and I'm not going to work at the company." 

"I don't think your father can," she let out after a long, drawn-out pause. 

"I understand." The anger abruptly left me and my voice became robotic, as I heard exactly what I didn't want to hear but what I needed to know. My family would only ever accept me if I became the person they had planned out for me, and even though I cared about them a lot, I wasn't going to lose who I was for them. 

"I wish you guys well and I hope everyone is doing okay, but you won't be seeing me for a while. Have a good week." 

I was about to end the call when her voice interrupted me. "Jack wait! We can talk about this, you don't have to cut us off..." 

"I can't give you what you want. I'm sorry." 

Her voice became resigned but I could hear the welled up emotion behind it. "Okay. I get it. I love you, Jack." 

"Love you too," I said, before hanging up the payphone. 

I let out a loud sigh. It looked like Christmas wouldn't be a family time after all.