A Storm

The sky was dark, full of gray clouds. A storm was moving in fast. Anna ran along the busy streets to the subway to catch the next train to her destination. In her backpack she had an inflatable kayak along with some other supplies from earlier that week when she had gone kayaking with some friends. As she ran down the steps, she felt a cold breeze blow her hair. Just as she got there, she realized she was a minuit too late. No mater, she thought to herself, she could wait for the next one. she sat down, pulled out a book, and began to read.

Little did she know that at that very moment, right below her feet, workers were trying to fix a dangerous problem. Lightning from the storm had caused a major electricity outage and the pumps that kept the water from flooding the city had failed.

After a while, Anna looked up from her book to check her watch. Strange, she thought, the next one should be here by now. She stood up only to realize that she was  ankle deep in water and it was rising fast. She tried to wade her way out of it, but the water was dark and murky and it seemed to have a swift current that moved her off course. she was less than a yard away from the stairs. Now, the water was up to just above her knees. Other people were trying to get to the stairs, with out mutch luck either.

As she took another step, her foot slipped , plunging her into the black water. Anna flailed around, trying to find something solid to anchor herself to.

Finally, she grabbed at a bench that was nailed to a floor. She gasped for a breath and looked around, realizing she was back where she had started and now waist deep in the ink-black water. Now, remembering that she had a life jacket in her backpack, she pulled it out, put it on, and inflated it.

She plunged into the water. Now, she swam with urgent strokes. At last, she reached the stairs. soaking and shivering, she climbed them and returned to her hotel where she  changed clothes and fell asleep.

Meanwhile, the backup system that pumped the water out wasn't working, but neither was the electricity. Only word of mouth could spread the warning that the city wasn't safe.

_____________________________________________________________________________

So, a little about this story before I end the chapter:

I wrote this in LA class when we were reading A World Without Us. I was inspired by the chapter, "A City Without Us", where we discovered how vulnerable large city's are. That being said, you can predict that the major problem in this book will be that everyone has "magically" dissapeared and civilization is collapsing.

If you aren't interested in reading someones school work, don't read this.

Oh, and I will dedicate this chapter to whoever finds the most grammer errors.