09. relentless.

|◁ II ▷|

wens take.

EBÉN'S FACE WAS DRESSED up in a criminal smile; not wanting his midnight-brown orbs to depart from the very woman who didn't make any sense to him. She was stupidly gorgeous, in a way that offended him and she gave him back wit; which was a lost trait in most of the women he had been around.

But Ebén didn't negate the art of his charm. He had a faultless record as he always won.

So, when he extended her an invite to his birthday bash; he didn't envisage her saying no.

The cold but polished wooden floor carried the weight of Maya's dragged feet, the bags underneath her eyes so glaring in her walled mirror. The day had been so manic especially with Ebén's ambush and she was desperate just to crawl into her bed.

She took a further inspection at her eye bags; horrified that no one, not even Blaze, had pointed out how pronounced they were.

Blaze sauntered into the living room holding a tub of vanilla ice cream smeared across her cheeks at the sound of heavy foot steps and found Maya right up against the mirror, looking at herself wearily.

"Did you just get in?" said Blaze, dressed into a sports bra and low-rising spandex shorts. She hobbled another spoon into her mouth. Maya threw her keys into the basket and met Blaze slouched on the two-seated sofa, "Mhm, yeah"

"Tdofugh zday? she spluttered, throwing back more and more ice-cream into her wide mouth. "Huh?" scoffed out Maya, wanting to wipe Blaze's ice-cream covered 'stache that was already dripping down her chin as the look of facial hair was unsightly on her.

The double ding from Maya's phone made the coffee table shake, Blaze's eyes grew deep with intrigue.

"Aren't you going to get that?" she howled, her metal spoon hanging out of her mouth. Her pupils shrunk as she tried to hold in her brain freeze.

Maya tried to deflect, "It's probably not important"

Blaze licked her spoon as her lips lifted up, "How do you know it's not, if you don't check?"

Go away Blaze, she mumbled to herself but slyly hoped that she heard. It wasn't as though she didn't want to share parts of her life with Blaze she did. It was just that she wasn't looking for the jury of Blaze to press and prod for her answers.

Especially answers that she could not confidently answer herself.

"I don't want to check" Maya accented harshly and began to immediately chastise herself for coming down too hard on Blaze.

Almost instinctively, the lock screen lit up and Blaze couldn't help herself; given that she recognised the contact name; her eyes were now wide and alert.