Chapter 1: A Proposal of New Life

"And that's all we have time for today. Make sure you study for the test on Monday." Yukio said as the class started to get up to leave. I grabbed my bag and started to walk out the door towards my dorm, I was so tired after my day but things didn't stop there.

When I got back to my dorm I saw something taped to the door of the building. I walked up to the door and ripped off the paper as I walked inside. I started reading the paper as I walked up the stairs.

It was a train ticket and a time to meet someone with only one sentence.

'Proposal of freedom'

Freedom from what? The Vatican? Satan? I got up to my dorm, "Hey Rin!"

"Hi, Kuro." I said placing my bag on the desk and flopping onto my bed.

"Are you okay? You seem sad." Kuro said, pawing at my face. I raised my head and looked at the cat. I explained what had just happened and looked back at the ticket. "Well... what are you going to do?"

"I don't know."

I didn't know what to do for the rest of the night, after eating dinner with Yukio I got ready for bed. Long after Yukio had fallen asleep I was still awake staring at the ticket. I considered the pros and cons of the situation, I could finally escape True Cross but they would surely be after me for the rest of my life.

I hadn't realized that I had drifted off to sleep until I felt Kuro licking at my face. I opened my eyes and it was still very dark in the room. My phone said that it was five in the morning, Kuro pawed at the papers that were now on my desk. I started to get up and I looked at the ticket again. I looked at Yukio sleeping soundly across the room. I bent down and grabbed the duffle bag from under my bed and Kuro jumped onto my shoulder.

I put my hand on the doorknob and hesitated, I looked back at Yukio. My brother, the only family I had left.

But he was also the same 'brother' that pointed a gun at me, the 'brother' that just stood there and watched as the Vatican sealed my fate as a guard dog. As my freedom was taken away.

'Proposal of freedom'

I turned back to the door and left. When I got to the ground floor I saw that the stars were just starting to disappear, the sun would rise by the time I got to the train station.

What the hell am I about to get into?

---

I was walking through the train cars until I reached one with only a single person inside. It was a guy with a hoodie and sunglasses. I sat across from him and waited until he said something, "Rin Okumura."

I looked up at the man and I saw a small amount of pink hair peeking out from the hoodie. Shima? But it wasn't his voice. The guy removed the glasses to reveal golden eyes, "It's good to finally meet my little brother."

"Lucifer. Why are you possessing my friend?" I asked, placing a hand on Kurikara. He let his hood fall to his shoulders and laughed a bit.

"He let me. You see I run a little operation called the Illuminati, and Renzo Shima just so happens to be my go to vessel. I wanted to see you and well... can't do that with little bro Mephisto watching you at that school now can I?" He said, I lifted my hand off of my sword and looked him dead in the eye.

"What's this about, Shima-fer?" I asked Lucifer and he laughed.

"Shima-fer?!... I actually like that. But anyway I called you to give you an opportunity. Call it a proposal of new life." He said. "I'm putting together a team, all you have to do is lead it."

"New life? ...Count me in." I said smirking at my demonic brother.

---

"You would move to another district and start a new life, lead a team, wait for instructions." Shima-fer said, as he gave me an Ipad. I scrolled through it seeing the name and other team members.

"Strike Team: Thanatos?" I looked through all of the names. "What's this other group?"

"Shield. It's an American espionage company, though they want to join so we can help with their... more demonic threats. I decided that I would only fund the team if I got my little brother to head it. Renzo has told me what you've done and I'm proud, many of our other brothers feel the same way." He leaned back in his seat.

"I'm honored, really, but what's the catch?" I said sarcastically. Kuro moved to sit in my lap.

Shima-fer leaned forward and pointed to Kuro's collar then my exorcist necklace. "Look at yourself, Rin! You wear that symbol as a sign of loyalty, to show that the Vatican owns you... might as well be wearing your cat's collar. You're a guard dog Okumura! I'm giving you a chance to have an actual say in your actions. No catch, no hidden strings. Just you and your team, saving lives and actually having freedom."

I thought for a moment. I pulled my necklace over my head and looked at the object in my hand. It was silver and blue, without the red, to show me being... 'different'. I dropped the object so now it was dangling by its chain from my hand. I moved my other hand to my sword and unsheathed it just a bit.

I directed the flames across my arm and watched as the metal melted into a smudge on the train car's floor. I sheath my sword back and looked up at Shima-fer, keeping only a smidge of the sheath detached so my eyes still glowed and I leaned towards Shima-fer.

"When do I start?"

A/N: In my opinion I think that all of the demon kings have a 'perfect vessel' (like Micheal and Luci in Supernatural) so the main person we know as Mephisto was just a man that he possessed and it was his perfect vessel. Because of this Shima is Lucifer's perfect vessel, their relationship is like Micheal and Adam (SPN season 15) or Sam and Luci (SPN season 7)