chapter four: american food

she had been dumped and kicked out. she had nowhere to go.

of course she let her stay with them. atsumu said nothing, just went inside after she agreed to the arrangement. she was quick to grab her bags and follow him in.

instead of going back inside, she stayed outside and watched the sun set on the horizon. the waves still crashed on the shore and the wind still pulled at her cover and her hair. this part didn't feel like old times. she studied the ring, playing with it gently. she wondered about her wedding. their wedding. would he smile then? in front of their family and friends.

when she did go in they were glaring at each other. she stood at one end of their kitchen island while he stood at the other. "honey, i think i'll order takeout for dinner," he spoke through the tension before turning to her, "what do you want?"

"what place are we ordering from?" her voice seemed like a million things shattering at once. glass or a heart she couldn't tell. "me and [name] always get american. she's from the us after all," his tone was playful and he offered her a smile. she returned it gratefully.

her face turned into a sneer. "i never did like american. too fatty, but i am your guest. if you do get american just get fries. i'm trying to diet," she shrugged. ever word pierced her like a knife.

diet. fatty. your guest. were these intentional insults or just slip of the tongue?

atsumu looked ready to slap her but she intervened. "it's fine. i know a good italian place not too far. i'll go and get some food," she smiled. atsumu just nodded and handed her his credit card. she shrugged and nodded.

when she came back their clothes were on the floor and heavy thumping came from their bedroom. her moans were loud. they were proud and not embarrassed.

she set down the food silently and looked at her ring. was this a symbol of love? or a handcuff?

at their fifth round she went back to the beach and debated throwing the ring into the ocean.