CHAPTER FOUR

Amy carefully placed the portrait she held back on the table, making sure there was no single noise.

With a quick move, she removed her gun from the back of her trouser in which she used the jacket she had on to cover it and tiptoed towards the door.

Thanks to the noiseless boots she had on, the intruder wouldn't suspect someone was coming towards him.

Has he been watching her every move? It's been four years now, how come he still lurks around this house?

Whoever he was, Amy knew he must be upto something.

What if he was here to finish me off like he did with mom? Just the thought of it, caused a rumble in her stomach.

What if I'm surrounded by not just one person? What if they are lots of them hanging around? God please help me, she silently prayed.

Once she was closer to the door that was wide open, she leaned back on the wall close to the door frame and tightened the grip on the gun with both hands directly between her thighs.

Amy was preparing to attack. Not minding what's out there in the hallway, she was determined and prepared to attack.

One.

Two.

Three.

She swiftly moved into the doorway as she pointed the gun, about to pull the trigger.

Amy glanced downwards. Her mouth pursed, but slightly open and loose. Her eyes are fixed as if she's looking at something mysterious. Her brows creased and her face tense.

Shaking her head, she smirked.

"So this was it all along?" She breathed out heavily.

She leaned on the wall when she realised it was the cracking sound from the empty wrap caused by a rat, trying to penetrate it.

She sighed, letting a light chuckle slip through her soar lips. She had gone through all the tension because of a mere rat.

"If I had known," she whispered regretfully.

Sluggishly, she went back into the room and took the portrait, pressing it against her chest.

She dragged herself from the room to the kitchen, where her mom was the best chef she had grown to admire so much.

She leaned on the doorway smiling at the kitchen. Her brain recollected the moments her mom would tie her apron and do the magic in few minutes. She was never tired of cooking.

She had told Amy that it was her number one hobby. She loved cooking and would love to cook for thousands of people if she had the chance to.

Since she was a single mother, striving hard to provide for the both of them, she couldn't open the restaurant she had planned to and fulfill her childhood dreams.

Amy wondered how much more she had sacrificed for her. She couldn't establish the restaurant she dreamt of opening once Amy was done with university.

It was only few months left, why did they have to be so inconsiderate? Send her to her early grave when she had dreams to fulfill, lives to inspire and I to live for? She cried inwardly.

Few steps backward, she exited the kitchen. Her direction was towards the back door before her phone beeped. She knew it was a text message.

She pulled her phone out. It was a text message from Lincoln.

"Wait, what's the time?"

Looking up the status bar, she realised it was already 4:32 pm.

"Oh shit!" She gasped.

She should be at the airport an hour or thirty minutes before her flight time. The drive there is usually up to 30 minutes and she needs to stop at the Lincoln's office before she leaves.

She clicked on the message to read.

LINCOLN ROGERS: "You should be here. Or do you plan on missing your flight to Texas?"

He has already started having doubts that Amy might have changed her mind and that wasn't good at all for her.

AMY: "I'm sorry. I had to go do some shopping. I'll be there in a jiffy."

She texted back.

Amy made her way back to the front door, carried her bag from the floor where it dropped and locked up once she was outside.

One more glance at the portrait she took, she slide it into her hand bag and shove it to the passenger's seat as she got behind the wheel

"I promise you mom, though I couldn't stop them from murdering you, but I'll make sure to get your murderer behind bars. Only then will I come back to this house." She could feel her heart constrict as her eyes lingered around the house.

"I miss you. I love you, mom." Amy could feel the chill in her blood, coldness bringing the synapses of her brain to a stand still as she muttered those words.

The tears burst forth like water from a dam, spilling down her face. She placed her head on the steering wheel, allowing the sound of her sobs to fill the air.

Few painful minutes flew by before she stirred the car into motion while struggling to see the road clearly as her tears clouded her vision.

The thirty minutes drive was a lonely and quiet one. She turned off the engine as she parked in front of her house.

She wasted no time as she swiftly dashed into her house once she made the last turn of the keys.

She had already packed up the night before and studied the file as she was instructed.

For a split of seconds, she glanced through the corners of her apartment. She's badly going to miss staying in her comfort zone.

Partially satisfied, she locked up and headed for the road.

Amy's heart twisted and sunk with nerves as she sat behind the wheel. She was convinced that the journey to Texas that laid before her was her choice to walk through hell to find her heaven or rather meet her end.

It was her choice.

She was proud of it.