He is overprotective.

Ever since Michele heard the heartbeat on the first ultrasound he kept expressing his worry regarding the gender of the baby. At the time you thought he was absolutely pathetic, you didn't reflect on the structures of society. Michele was scared to bring a girl into this world, he was well aware of what awaited her and he despised it. He was aware of the statistics regarding sexual assault and the thought of someone hurting his little girl made him sick to his stomach. He hoped for a boy, he wanted to teach him how to respect women and respect the meaning of 'no'. When the two of you popped the balloon and pink confetti floated to the ground on the gender reveal party, he swore that he would protect your daughter at all costs. If he had to walk through fire with his bare feet he would. He wouldn't allow any boy or man to hurt her or take advantage of her. He didn't want to limit her opportunities to have fun. He would always say "I'll give you all the freedom in this world, if you're responsible. Attend school, be respectful and kind". Your daughter, Emiliana was allowed to party and drink - responsibly. God forbid that he found her wasted, throwing up in the bathroom. He wasn't afraid of speaking his mind, especially not to your daughter. Emiliana would know if Michele was angry and disappointed by her actions, he would make sure she knew it. He would literally rant for an hour, his hand would aggressively go through his hair and to mark the conversation as over, he would lit a cigarette. 

You had witnessed Emiliana as intoxicated many times. Emiliana always sent you a text when she was on her way home from parties. You barely understood what she attempted to write, but you understood that she was on her way home. You would immediately tip toe to the front door, quietly open it in order to prevent Michele from waking up from his slumber. She would be on the verge of loosing her balance, the liquor could be smelled on her breath and her hair would be all over the place. She would beg you to not enlighten her father about her state. She knew that he would be pissed off. You would hold her hair, force her to drink water and finally put her to bed. You didn't want Michele to know, it was better that way. He would be disappointed and angry, beyond words. In his world, Emiliana was the perfect little angel who followed his rules. In your world, she was an average teenager who enjoyed life and you didn't want to prevent her from doing so. 

Your phone was dead, knowing that Emiliana would text you when she was on her way home made you rush upstairs. Dressed in sweatpants, Michele was laying on his back, scrolling through something on his phone. It was late, you knew that she would probably be home within thirty minutes. Michele was still awake, it would be suspicious if you began questioning him regarding him still being awake. Seconds later you received a message from Emiliana, indicating that she was on her way home. You prayed to God that she wouldn't be wasted, but to judge her based on the message she sent, you knew that she was going to be a mess. As you made your way to the front door, Michele accompanied you. You did your best to make him stay in bed, he must have seen something desperate in your gaze which made him curious enough to follow you. You couldn't lie to save your life. A soft knock on the door interrupted you from your own thoughts, before you reacted Michele opened the door. You felt your heart rise to your throat. Michele and Emiliana stood, facing one another. Emiliana's mascara was smeared, her hair was a mess and she held a hand over her mouth. Fear was evident in her eyes as she rushed past the two of you. Michele followed her with his gaze, you heard him curse loudly in Italian.

"Either she's pregnant or fucking wasted" he angrily said to you. You could barely prevent yourself from grinning. Michele had been through a lot of vomiting with you, while you were pregnant with Emiliana. 

"She's most likely intoxicated Micki" you softly replied, trying to calm the situation. 

"Merda" he cursed as his hand went through his hair, he was breathing rather heavy as he said "she has no idea what could have happened to her" 

"Love, you need to calm down. It doesn't matter what could have happened, she is here now. Safe and sound" you explained but Michele ignored your attempts to calm the situation. He barged in to the bathroom where Emiliana was throwing her heart out. 

"I'm never drinking again" she would mumble between the vomiting. 

"Ey Emiliana. We are discussing this, first thing in the morning. Do you hear me?" Michele strictly commanded. Emiliana shamefully nodded in response. Michele angrily shook his head and went to find his package of cigarettes. 

"He is going to kill me" she mumbled as tears ran down her rosy cheeks. You sighed as you gently pulled her hair into a messy bun. 

"He's worried Lana. You're his little treasure, that's all" you confidently replied back. Emiliana wrapped her arms around you, hugging you. 

"Thank you for taking care of me mama" she said, not moving an inch away from you. You lovingly rubbed her back. 

"Everything is going to be fine. I suggest you to be kind Emiliana. No attitude, you know how he gets" you warned her, she weakly smiled as she whispered "good night". 

You woke up to the sound of water running, it was Michele showering. You glanced at the clock, groaning loudly when you realised that the clock hadn't even passed eight. Michele had a tendency to wake up early when he was angry. He would always take a long shower in the morning, in order to calm down. When the sound of water running died down, Michele walked back to the bedroom. He had a white fluffy towel wrapped around his hips. You bit your lip at the sight of him. 

"I need a double espresso and a package of cigarettes" he said. You could sense the irritation behind his tone. You gave him a sad smile as you went to the bathroom to splash your face with cold water. 

"I need sleep" you jokingly replied which didn't seem to be appreciated by Michele. 

"So help me God if she runs that mouth of hers" Michele angrily stated as the two of you made your way to the kitchen. To your surprise Emiliana was already in the kitchen, breakfast was served on the table. She had woken up earlier, trying to make amends. 

"Sit down" Michele ordered, he took a sip out of his small little cup filled with freshly brewed espresso. 

"Look dad, I'm sorry for coming home in that state" she immediately said, locking eyes with Michele. Michele lit his cigarette, inhaled the smoke. 

"Do you think I'm stupid Emiliana?" Michele questioned, she furrowed her eyebrows, she wasn't sure where he was going with this. 

"No papá, you're not stupid" she quietly said, her gaze was facing the wooden table as her fingers kept fidgeting. 

"This wasn't the first time you came home wasted as fuck. Do you really believe that I don't know about your whereabouts?" he angrily questioned his daughter. "I've heard you coming home, in a drunken state too many times. I know your mother has had your back, but I think it's fucking enough now" he barked. Tears rolled down Emiliana's cheeks, her breathing was turning heavy due to the crying. 

"I'm sorry papá" she kept mumbling, Michele emptied the cup of coffee and finished smoking his cigarette. 

"I'm worried for you Emiliana. There are many disgusting men out there, waiting to take advantage of women. I cannot stand them. I don't know what I would do to myself if something would happen to you. Walking around, drunk out of your mind in the middle of the night alone is something I can't accept." he explained, a bit calmer this time. Emiliana was sobbing, he stood up and kneeled down in front of her. 

"Look Lana. I love you more than anything, I care for you and I'm also worried. I don't want you to stop drinking because of disgusting men, but I want you to think about the risks. In an ideal world, you wouldn't even have to think about any risks ... but reality is different" Michele gently said to her. Emiliana wrapped her arms around his neck as he was kneeling down. He kissed her cheek, slowly rubbing her back. 

"I love you papá" she whispered.