Chapter 6

Kai stood at the head of the table Jason and Timothy to his left and Doris was closest to us at the end of the table. There were two empty seats to Kai's right and I took the one closest to him while Davi sat beside me. Jason raised a brow in question at me but said nothing. I met his stare with an innocent one of my own and he flicked his gaze between the two of us. I simply turned back to Kai ignoring his question and saw him fidget out of the corner of my eye. "Alright everyone, I just got off the phone with my mom. Yes- my mom, do not start with me Jason." He held his hand up and Jason bit back a laugh so Kai continued.
"I've worked out a great agreement for us, it's a chance to use our powers in the world and see if we can work as a team."Jason looked like he had his doubts, Timothy was making Misther Monkey dance on the table, Doris was writing something down and Davi- well he was Davi. "What is it? What are we doing?" I asked trying to seem interested for everyone, Kai smiles his thanks to me before answering "it's a wedding." At that, Davi sat up straight and paid enough attention to look confused, Doris looked up from her papers and over her glasses at Kai, Jason snickered, Timothy pursed his lips, and even Misther Monkey cocked his head to the side. As if to say what? Why?
"A- wedding?" I ask as though the concept is foreign and I've never heard of it. It seemed so out of place and just odd. He nodded enthusiastically, "it seems out of place- I know but I'm telling you, it'll help us work together as a unit as well as do some scouting. We're looking for more to join our cause- you know this." I leaned back and slouched in my chair, "I guess. I don't know, I just kind of wanna do my own thing I don't want to be in a war."
Kai sighed, and I heard the sadness that was in him through that sigh, "I know. But hear me out, I think that there's someone who has a power that either hasn't materialized yet or has been hiding it semi- successfully and is about to burst. I can't explain it but talking to my mom on the phone- shut up Jason-" he said it without even missing a beat "I could feel it. The energy is there and if I can, I'd like to help." He looked around the table at us, our random band of misfits, and I could see the hope in his eyes, Jason surprised me by speaking up. "This- wedding who's it for? And what are we going to be doing?"
Kai walked around and put his hand on both boys' shoulders and looked down at them with a calm happy smile, "it's my cousin. She's getting married, I'm pretty sure she's the one with the powers but I can't be sure until we get there. The job? We're going to be running security- the five of us- three on the outside, two on the inside." I felt everyone's eyes go to me and had to look up from where my hands were interlocked on the table. "What?" I ask genuinely confused Jason pursed his lips again and looked to Kai, "really? So, let me guess who the two inside are," Timothy raised his hand and Davi scoffed, his feet were back up on the table.
"Sorry, but can Misther Monkey go to the wedding?" Kai looked alarmed, but Doris was the one who saved him, "oh sweetheart, I was wondering if you wouldn't mind if Misther Monkey stayed and helped me with some things." He smiled and shot up from his chair so fast Kai was hit by it. He cringed but turned away to hide his pain.
"Of course he can help you! He doesn't like weddings anyways, here he's the best helper," he set Misther Monkey down by Doris who smiled and pat his head affectionately. "So, how we doing this?" I asked and Kai stopped glaring at Jason to look to me, he smiled softly as Davi lazily threw his left arm around my chair and leaned the right arm back on his. He looked at utter peace and had a complete air of laziness about him. I was honestly jealous.
"Alright, so you three will be out walking the perimeter making sure there's no suspicious activity. Jason, you seem to have a calming effect so if anyone gets too roudy you can just use that. Timothy can use his cuteness to keep people in check. Davi- don't shock anyone that would probably be bad and-" Jason had his hand to his chin and suddenly spoke cutting Kai off- "wait a second. Why are you two-" he said gesturing to me and Kai- "always together? You two get paired together a lot I feel. Why isn't she patrolling? Why aren't you, it's your idea? Maybe she'd wanna spend the wedding with someone else," he said trailing off and wiggling his eyebrows at me Davi scoffed.
I internally rolled my eyes but externally I took on Davi's influence and had the laziest stare I could muster. My hand was propping my head up as I leaned on the table and my feet were curled up together under my chair, it really was easier to handle this bickering when you didn't care. Ooh, he's onto something. Kai answered for me "because her power is probably the most important for this occasion." I looked at him and let a little confusion into my features  and he smirked, "the weather isn't forecasted to be all that great that week-" he let the sentence hang open.
"Ah I see," I said crossing my arms and leaning to my right towards Davi, "why am I always a playing card?" I asked looking to Davi. He shrugged and moved his arm down around my shoulders, "like this- I'm tellin ya kick your feet up and you'll reach maximum comfiness." I laughed and Jason cleared his throat, "baby- I gotta be honest I don't like this, whatever this is." He says gesturing to me and Davi.
"Tsu you're not a playing card. I know it seems cold but-" Jason scoffed, "cold? Try frigid. She can control the weather from outside." I nodded to him and Davi stuck his fist out to Jason who fist bumped him across the table. Doris chuckled at the end of the table "because," said Kai loudly and dramatically getting everyone's attention. "Controlling the weather, going against what Mother Nature wants for as long as she's going to- if she's ok with that- takes a lot out of someone. She has to be able to sit a lot - to be comfy."
I thought about it and nodded to him, "he is kind of right," Jason grumbled "ah! Why can't she control it from the car. Why does it have to be you two inside? IT'S A DATE ISN'T IT?"
I looked from Kai to Jason and back, Kai sighed and I could tell he was we beginning to get exhausted, "no it's not a date. Clearly." He said side eyeing Davi and his arm before finishing, "I didn't think I'd have to break this down." He said this almost to himself before taking a deep breath, and putting his hands out on the table in front of him. "Ok, clearly I do-" he said to Jason's blank stare. "Ok." He took a huge breath and huffed it out, "it's my family's event. Therefore, I was invited, as an invited member I get to bring a plus one. Now, you're right, it's wrong for me to assume Tsu will go with me. Let's look at my options, ok?"
I find myself smirking as he continues speaking to Jason as though he's three years old. "Jason you could go but that would leave Timothy alone with a bunch a strangers. His power isn't completely developed, which means it could go off at any time and you wouldn't be there to save him. Do you want that?"
Jason heaved a sigh and sat back down, "no." He said sadly, "ok." Said Kai and walked to stand behind Timothy, "now I could take Timothy. He's adorable he'd win people over, but as we said before, his power isn't at his control and he doesn't do well with strangers. So let's say he'd panic and someone's head would blow-" Jason held his hand up and Timothy smiled. "Hey- no." Jason said, "Misther Monkey isn't coming. He blows heads up- not Timothy," Kai shrugged, "true. But he'd still be alone."
Jason grumbled and Kai moved down to Doris, "she's already said she doesn't want to go. Probably because how Davi is being," he said with a glare to Davi.
Doris chuckled and shook her head, Kai moved down and passed me to Davi, "now, I could take Davi. They do know him, and Tsu could sit in the car I suppose. My family does think we are together," he said with a wink and nuzzled Davi's neck who laughed and ran his hand through Kais hair- "but we do have a problem." He said pulling away from Davi's neck looking truly perplexed, I looked to him my eyebrows raised. "Davi could never pull off a dress. He doesn't have the legs for it- sorry baby," he said looking sadly at Davi who shrugged and flicked his head "speak for yourself. I look adorable in a dress, I got legs for days. Clearly you won't be seeing them, anytime soon."
Kai smirked and ran his hand across Davi's chest before stepping back. "Anyways, so no legs from Davi, panic and explosion from Timothy, Timothy being alone, the only one who is free is Tsu!" Jason shrugged and rolled his eyes, "fine. But I still think it's a date, unless Davi has something to say." He said accusingly, and Davi shrugged "what we do in our time, is our time." I scoffed and stood "ok now that we're done with deciding and debating who's going in, we haven't decided or been informed when the wedding is. Also, I don't have any clothes for this."
Doris cleared her throat, "while you boys continue with your testosterone party I'm going to take miss Tsu to the store and find some clothes. You boys get packed up, Davi if you'd like you're more than welcome to come. Kai, Jason, I don't want to hear it from you two. Timothy-" she said to the boy who'd begun playing with Misther Monkey again. He looked up to her and I could tell he thought he was in trouble.
"There's a snack in the kitchen for you," she hugged him and he giggled when she let go, she took my hand and dragged me out of the room.