Chapter 7

"That was fun, wasn't it?" Doris asked looking at me from the side, I nodded halfheartedly and she stopped. "What is it, sweetheart?" She put her hand up to my forehead checking my temperature "you're not warm, but you're acting like Davi. And you're not like him. Trust me I know, he's cranky, what's wrong?" She asked again and I forced a smile, I shook my head muttering nothing and kept walking. She sighed and planted her feet not following me, I turned and saw her with her arms crossed in front of her and she looked mad.
"Whoa, Doris why are you mad?" I went back to her and she walked me over to a bench holding me by the am and sat me down. "Something's wrong. You've been out of it all day, and now you won't even look at me, you're just quiet and to yourself." I took a deep breath and leaned my head on her shoulder to show I wasn't mad at her, not by a long shot. "I'm confused, that's all."
She looked down at me and in her eyes I could see sadness and confusion, "what's wrong?" She asked and I could tell her momentary anger was gone and all that was left in its place was a mother's worry. I sighed, "it's just- we were supposed to come looking for dresses and have a fun day but-" I trail off biting my lip.
The last thing I wanted to do was make this woman mad, "but," she says urging me on. "But ok, take the first shop, I didn't even get to go in. I got shoved right back out and then drug down to two or three more shops before finally going into one. And I barely saw anything of that shop before I was shoved into the back in the dressing room and had piles of dresses thrown at me. I barely even remember the one we picked." It all came out in a rush and I felt my cheeks reddening as it did, stop! Stop while you're behind, you idiot! My mind was not happy with me.
I chanced a glance at Doris, she wasn't mad she looked sad. She sighed and put her hand over mine and squeezed it, "I'm sorry honey. You're absolutely right, I did ruin today- didn't I?" My eyes widened as I realized she was on the verge of tears and instantly I started babbling out apologies. She held her hand up and instantly I stopped, "no need. I- I'm sorry I just," she sighed and looked out across from us but I could tell she wasn't seeing the shops that were there. She was looking through time and memories, she was thinking long and hard.
Eventually she brought her gaze back to mine and I could see resolution in her eyes. "You know Kai and Davi are like my sons, right?" At my nod, she smiled and continued, "I love them as though they were my own. I had a daughter once." My eyes widened at that and I felt a shiver run down my spine at the word had "wh-what happened?" I ask quietly. "She was taken from me. It was a long time ago when we were first learning of powers, everyone was scared. I- I should've fought harder for her than I did. When she was taken, it left a hole in my heart and in my soul."
"When I met Kai I knew I had to protect him, and then Davi came along and I felt like God had given me a second chance to make the difference in these two idiots that I failed to do for my daughter. These two broken boys- they became mine. It took time to gain their trust,of course, but once I did I knew I couldn't lose it. Then they brought you, and I saw your broken beaten body. But not only that, I saw your insanely strong mind and willpower. I knew that you were truly why I was here. I just needed to prove I could be a mother to you- if you'll let me of course- I could help you, I wanted you to accept me in your life and I suppose I went a little over board. I'm sorry for that."
Her voice cracked at the end and she wiped at her tears, I pulled her into a hug and squeezed her, she smiled. "Oh Doris, you're an amazing person! I'm so sorry I made you doubt yourself. You're everything I could've asked for in a mom. I-" I sigh and wipe at a stray tear on my cheek, "I lost my mom when I was younger, I don't really even remember her anymore. I completely understand the need for a daughter that you have. It's the same as mine for a mom. I'd closed that door in my life because I didn't think anyone could replace her."
We sat silently for a moment my head on her shoulder and her arms wrapped around me. No one had ever comforted me like this, no one except Kai and even Davi, once. These people weren't just my saviors, they were my friends and even more than that they were becoming my family. "Doris, if- if it's not too much," she hummed an answer "maybe we could do mother daughter day like this more often?" I felt her smile as she hugged me to her.
"I'd like that sweet heart, now- let's get you home those boys will be throwing a fit soon." I laughed and we walked to the car in happy silence. As we got there I felt my steps become slower and slower and my eyes got more and more droopy.
The sun was setting now so it couldn't be much later than six or seven. Doris opened my door and chuckled as I stifled a yawn and stretched, "you've had quite the day. Let's get ya in here so you can sleep. It's a bit of a drive you know." By the time she shut the door and walked around to her side I was already half asleep. "You are such a lucky girl, you know that?" I half mumbled an answer and before I knew it, I was out.