ʜᴀɴᴀᴋᴏ-sᴀɴ ᴏғ ᴛʜᴇ ᴛᴏɪʟᴇᴛ

"ʜᴀᴠᴇ ʏᴏᴜ ʜᴇᴀʀᴅ...?"

"ᴛʜᴇ ᴍᴏsᴛ ᴜɴᴅᴇʀʀᴀᴛᴇᴅ, ᴍʏsᴛᴇʀʏ ɴᴜᴍʙᴇʀ 0, ᴋɪʀᴜᴍɪ ᴏғ ᴛʜᴇ ɢᴀʀᴅᴇɴ."

"ᴛʜᴇʏ sᴀʏ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴀᴛ ᴀ ᴄᴇʀᴛᴀɪɴ ᴛɪᴍᴇ, ʏᴏᴜ'ʟʟ sᴇᴇ ʜᴇʀ sɪᴛᴛɪɴɢ ɪɴ ᴛʜᴇ ᴍɪᴅᴅʟᴇ ᴏғ ᴛʜᴇ ɢᴀʀᴅᴇɴ, sᴜʀʀᴏᴜɴᴅᴇᴅ ʙʏ ᴘɪɴᴋ ғʟᴏᴡᴇʀs. ɪғ ʏᴏᴜ ᴍᴀᴋᴇ ʜᴇʀ ʜᴀᴘᴘʏ, sʜᴇ'ʟʟ ɢɪᴠᴇ ʏᴏᴜ ᴀ ғʟᴏᴡᴇʀ ᴛʜᴀᴛ'ʟʟ ɢɪᴠᴇ ʏᴏᴜ ᴍᴀᴊᴏʀ ʟᴜᴄᴋ ғᴏʀ ᴛʜᴇ ʀᴇsᴛ ᴏғ ʏᴏᴜʀ ʟɪғᴇ. ɪғ ɴᴏᴛ, sʜᴇ'ʟʟ ɢʀᴀɴᴛ ʏᴏᴜ ᴀ ᴄᴜʀsᴇ, ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡɪʟʟ ᴄᴀᴜsᴇ ʏᴏᴜ ᴛᴏ ᴘᴜᴋᴇ ғʟᴏᴡᴇʀs ᴜɴᴛɪʟ ʏᴏᴜ ᴅɪᴇ..."

• • •

(Name) (Surname) walked through the deserted hallways, quietly mingling with her close friend, Yashiro Nene. The two of them were talking about the newest rumor that was spreading—a school mystery that ruled the garden. Normally, (Name) wouldn't have been interested in all of the rumors. She knew the truth, so whatever people were spreading didn't matter to her.

It just happened that this rumor was spreading about her alter ego. While the majority of the people in the high school division of Kamome Gakuen knew her as a normal high school student, (Name) had a secret identity that was known as Kirumi of the Garden. But with this rumor spreading, (Name) was beginning to become a bit anxious that it wouldn't be a secret for much longer.

(Name) had died years before the current time. She had her own life and her own reputation that had simply gone down the drain . But then, it was like one day, the switch simply switched. She wasn't just a lonely ghost that sometimes swarmed the halls, thinking of the past. She wasn't just a school mystery that had the duty of protecting the school and its students from supernatural threats. Instead, people saw her and viewed her as if she was simply a normal student. That was when she made the decision to act as a student, while having the job of a mystery in secret. Her old mentor (who happened to be doing that exact thing) even encouraged her to do it.

In the end, she didn't regret the decision. She became close friends with Yashiro and she was actually quite popular in this time period. At times, it almost made her forget that she was actually a ghost—a school mystery, who was lying to her close friends.

"Don't worry so much about dumb rumors, Nene-chan," she told Yashiro, trying to hide the uneasiness in her own voice. "I promise, no ghost will attack you in the garden."

Yashiro squealed and clutched her chest. "I know that! It's just... unsettling! I..." Yashiro randomly stopped in her tracks, causing (Name) to look at her questionably.

"You're thinking of doing something stupid, aren't you...?" (Name) asked, teasingly.

Yashiro got suddenly defensive. "Obviously not! It's not that stupid!"

"Okay," (Name) muttered. "It is then."

Yashiro's face became red and she began fidgeting with her finger. "I just wanted to ask... you've heard of that Hanako-san rumor, right? Will you come with me to go check it out?"

(Name) blankly stared at her.

"I-I was fine with going alone!" Yashiro stammered. "But that gardening rumor freaked me out. If you're not up for it then that's fine but..."

(Name) sighed. She wasn't particularly scared nor did she have anywhere else to be. If it were any other mystery, she likely would have considered it. But the mystery that Yashiro had been wanting to visit was Hanako-san of the Toilet. In their past lives, they'd been close friends and they both took on the identities of mysteries after their deaths.