Part 6

It was really amazing that such a small occurrence like that - not to diminish the significance of the fact Devonne snuck into my tent to see me - could completely change my outlook on everything. Before I was feeling kind of hopeless, but now I was full of hope. It didn't even make sense either. Nothing had actually changed. I was still graduating next week, I would still be leaving her. 

But right now... it didn't matter. I wondered how long this spell would last before it wore off. They all did eventually. Sooner or later the cold hard truth was gonna rear it's head at me: I was leaving whether I wanted to or not.  

But the more I tried to force myself out of this positive mood to be realistic, the more I found myself analyzing what had just happened. SHE was the one that told me we couldn't talk at all these last few days, and now twice she'd made an effort on her own to see me.  

Well, maybe not exactly SEE me, but sending me notes was a way to talk without talking directly. I was pretty sure I couldn't respond to them, but still. Speaking of which, I realized I hadn't even retrieved the note she brought this time. 

I looked around at everyone else in the tent still sleeping. I'd probably regret not sleeping during this time when we had this training later tonight, but oh well. I fished through my pack until I felt the folded up piece of paper, and pulled it out.

' The only reason I'm telling you this is so you do not have your mind on anything else tonight besides training because you will need all of your focus. All of H's electronic property will be seized by CID so if she has something she won't much longer. '

That was all the note said. No lip imprint on this one, not even a 'D'. I would be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed. I honestly hadn't even been thinking about Heather the she-devil. I was just hoping for a cutesy note or something. But I guess the lip imprint one was the closest I'd get. I mean really, it wasn't probably very smart for her to write a personal note. Ugh, these rules were starting to piss me off. The only reason I looked FORWARD to leaving was we wouldn't have to be all secretive anymore at least. But we also wouldn't be seeing each other in person much either... 

Anyway, I guess it was good that that bitch Heather would have all her property seized. But CID was military too, if she DID have the picture like she claimed wouldn't they see it?  

No, Devonne had probably thought of some way around that. She really didn't explain many details in the letter, but I was sure she had. Even if they did see it... I remember when we'd taken the picture Devonne had cropped out everything but our faces together, so it would really just look like any old picture of 2 two girls kissing. Those were a dime a dozen on the internet, weren't they? The only people that would recognize us would be people in our company. 

I felt a bit calmer after I worked all this out in my head. Don't worry, I told myself, Devonne is a smart woman, she would have worked out all these details. Stop worrying. Get some sleep. 

It'd be easier to sleep if she was laying here with me, though.  

UGH! Focus, Selena!  

Count sheep or something. Okay. Close your eyes. Try to think about nothing. 

Why did everyone always say that: Think about nothing? If you TRY to think about nothing, you're thinking of SOMETHING. What a bust. 

I rolled over on my other side. I was so not even tired right now, that much was obvious. I mean, we'd just woken up like 3 hours ago before we ate breakfast and then were sent to the tent to rest up. How were all of these other people sleeping so easily?  

If I weren't in the Army now, I'd have easily been able to take a little tiger snooze ANY time of day. But now, I was so accustomed to being up all day and not being allowed to sleep... it was like mentally impossible for me to be okay with sleeping.