Epilogue

I walked beside 'First Sergeant' Lovato as we walked towards the DFAC on the base. She'd told me she wanted to get eating out of the way so we could just spend the night catching up in the tent and not have to leave. I liked the sound of that. 

It was slightly awkward, knowing there was so much we wanted to say to each other, but the volume of soldiers walking around on one of these bases in Afghanistan was too much to have any kind of private conversation without someone potentially eavesdropping. So we mostly walked in silence, although I glanced at her every now and then just to make sure she was real and that this was really happening. 

So many thoughts flooded my mind. Past memories, the times I'd cry thinking about her, how anyone I'd attempted to date was never good enough or came close to her, and just thinking of her in general. Something that's really common in the Army is people telling stories about their experience at basic training. It never leaves you, and it always comes up eventually in conversations with people, even years afterward.  

I'd still never been able to fully disclose the nature of my relationship obviously, but I had told people I sneaked around with someone during basic. Obviously this would make me think of Devonne every time, but even when anyone even uttered the phrase 'I remember back in basic' that was enough to do it too. I'd inadvertently smile or try to hide a smile thinking about it. It seemed so long ago now. Four years was a long time in the Army regardless, but it seemed like ages. 

I'd changed so much in those years. I wasn't the fuck-up private I had been anymore, now I was in charge of so many other people. The responsibility was crazy - being a squad leader back in basic for a few days was nothing compared to this. I was now the same rank Devonne had been when I came in. 

I'd never been a hardass like some platoon sergeants were. I did what I needed to do, and got people to accomplish the mission regardless, but I didn't do it with an iron fist. I treated people with respect - sure I'd had to yell at some people every now and then, but it wasn't a regularity - and they respected me back. It was a good system. But I also had grown to respect a drill sergeant position so much more, because I knew myself doing what I did now with a bunch of clueless kids straight out of high school would have been stress level one thousand. 

We slowly moved forward in the chow line once we got to the tent that was the DFAC, and when we got to the sign in table, both soldiers shot up to parade rest for both of us. 

"Evening, first sergeant! Sergeant!" The young private addressed us both. 

"At ease, at ease." I motioned him to sit down. "How's it going?" 

"I'll sign both our names, Russo." Devonne informed me. I nodded. 

"It's another day in paradise, sergeant, isn't it?" The private laughed. 

"It's hot as shit outside, and this food in here is probably gonna suck. Wouldn't want it any other way." I laughed. "Take care." 

He nodded and we moved forward into the tent. 

"Well you certainly talk differently than I remember from back in the day, Russo..." Devonne said as we got in line and got our trays. 

"Not Private Russo anymore. Surely you didn't expect that same person?" 

She laughed. "Obviously not, it's just gonna take some getting used to seeing you all grown up in the Army now..." 

"That's still probably the real me, the one you remember. I'm just better at hiding it now, like you were..." I trailed off. 

"Yeah, I suppose..." 

Once we sat down it was even more awkward. We couldn't talk about what we actually wanted to, so we just talked about army stuff. I personally hated when people spent their free time talking about what work they did all day, and it wasn't my style. But I was still happy to be talking to her in general.