Part 8

I heard Devonne taking a shower for quite some time before I could piece together and take in what had actually just happened. I stayed in the same place on the couch and blankly stared in wonder at the ceiling - the very same that I had involuntarily fixated on while Devonne was... well, you know. 

That had just happened. The last thing I could plainly remember after IT had happened was her kissing me on the forehead, before asking me something and once I had not responded to it - or rather, once I had not been ABLE to respond to it - she just giggled and walked away.  

I still wasn't sure at this very moment if I would be able to respond to anything for quite a while, which was kind of a disadvantage being that I most definitely had to say something at graduation tomorrow. It was only my name, but currently that was seeming like it would be impossible, given the circumstances. 

Don't get me wrong, I wasn't unable to speak in a negative way. Nooo.... it was quite the opposite. I guess I didn't want to speak, and I didn't want to get up from the couch because that would be accepting that the moment was over, and that I'd have to go on with my life after forever holding memories of it in my mind. 

That was another thing, though. Would that be all I would have in the future? Just celestial memories from this one magical afternoon in basic training? I didn't want that to be the case. It COULDN'T be the case, I wouldn't let it. We would make more memories, Devonne and I. We had to. You don't share something so intimate with someone like we just had, after all the time we'd spent together prior, and just go your separate ways forever. 

That didn't make sense, and it wasn't fair. 

Graduation tomorrow. I shook my head violently - probably the first sign of movement ever since Devonne had left to take a shower - no, Selena! Don't think about that yet. 

I don't remember hearing the water in the shower turn off, but it must have because Devonne interrupted my internal monologue. By laughing at me. 

"Are you seriously still in the EXACT same position I left you?" 

"Mhm."  

She walked and sat on the couch by my feet. She had a duffel bag which was partially open and I could see some uniforms and boots inside of it. Probably a bag she was gonna take back to the base. 

"I figured you'd have at LEAST put your underwear back on, Sel... It's not very ladylike to lay around naked on someone's couch. Although..." She raised her eyebrows at me, "I'm not complaining." She retrieved a brush out of her duffel. 

Oh, shit! Was I seriously naked still? 

I sat up on reflex. "I'm sorry! Umm... can you... hand me...it?" I said pointing at my underwear which had been tossed on the floor beside the couch. It was nearest to where she was at now. 

She chuckled and retrieved it, tossing it to me. "You should probably take a shower, too, y'know. You can't put your dress uniform back on looking like that." 

I scoffed as I put them on. "Looking like what?! It's your fault, hmph!" 

She winked. "Regardless, you need to shower because you smell like sex and that's not authorized in my barracks, private. Even if you ARE graduating tomorrow." 

I turned my nose up at her, before sighing. "Fine." 

"I hung your uniform up in the bathroom while I was showering to get out any wrinkles that may have been in it. So when you finish your shower it should be good to go. Oh and you might wanna call Sanders to come pick you up, at least, to make sure she still can." 

It kinda hurt me how besides her comment about sex she seemed totally normal, like this was any other day. I mean, it probably was, or maybe it was even unsatisfactory compared to her past escapades. I wasn't exactly experienced, I supposed. I don't know, maybe I was over thinking it. But I had to hear her say something about it. Anything.