Chapter XVI: To Be So Lonely

A/N: I'm feeling so inspired to write at the moment so expect regular updates and long chapters! The storyline is starting to get stronger aswell, it started off very weak as I was a fair bit younger when I started writing this story but I'm improving now. Anyways, enough waffle from me. Stay safe and healthy and enjoy the chapter!!

~Blaise POV~

There's definite tension in the air this morning. As the four of us walk down to breakfast, I slip my hand into Ginny's. She closes her fingers around mine and then we watch as Hermione, who is uncharacteristically quiet today, speeds up her pace to get away from us. Well, one of us in particular.

Breakfast is full of commotion, everyone is still buzzing from the novelty of seeing people they're yet to catch up with since the Christmas break.

Hermione sits at the Ravenclaw table with Luna, and me, Ginny and Draco sit at the the Slytherin table.

Draco hasn't said two words to me since he stormed out of the Hospital Wing yesterday. I tried to go and speak to him last night but he locked his door and didn't answer when I knocked, despite trying seven times.

We walk to Potions, our first lesson of the day, in silence and line up outside the classroom. I lean against the wall as I fiddle with the end of Ginny's ponytail. Draco says nothing and stares at the ground. Both me and Ginny ask if he's alright, but he ignores us. We exchange a look and then follow the rest of the class as Professor Slughorn opens the door, ushering us all inside.

Ginny hangs back, walking with Hermione. They sit down at a desk near the front of the room and I follow Draco, filing into our usual seats. I catch Draco staring at the two empty stools where the girls usually sit but they're quickly filled by Theo and Pansy. I smile at them both, which they return, giving Draco a worried glance. He's now looking straight ahead, no visible expression on his face.

Slughorn starts talking and our eyes all swivel to the front of the room. The professor explains how to correctly brew the potion we're making today, the Draught of Peace, and instructs us all to get into pairs and gather our ingredients.

Draco is quick to volunteer to go over to the store cupboard, taking me by surprise. I watch him weave through the tables and see a bushy haired girl in front of him, balancing ingredients in her arms. I sigh, vaguely amused but mainly sympathetic. Draco appears to try and say something but Hermione walks past just as he opens his mouth to speak.

"How can we cheer him up?" Pansy asks, sounding genuinely concerned.

I frown. "I'm not sure. Should we just get wasted like last year?" I joke, thinking back to all of our private parties in the Room of Requirement.

"Yeah!" Theo and Pansy both answer enthusiastically.

"Guys I was joking." Just as I'm saying this, Draco returns, looking even more downcast than before.

I shush the others but Pansy rolls her eyes and ignores me.

"Draco," she says silkily, sympathy in her voice. We all look up at her, apprehensive of what she's going to say next.

"Party in the Room of Requirement tonight." She stops him as he tries halfheartedly to dismiss the idea. I end up doing most of the work this lesson and let Draco sit quietly, staring into space.

After classes, which seem to go very slowly today, I go to find Ginny. She's in her room, getting ready for Quidditch practice. I sit on her bed as she pulls her Gryffindor jumper over her head.

"Starting back already?" I ask. She nods. "You know what Harry's like. He really wants us to beat you guys." I roll my eyes and smile at her.

"I don't think you have much to worry about, I'm not sure Draco's ever going to get back on a broomstick again." Ginny's eyes widen, realising I could be right.