4. emotions

This chapter is dedicated to my co-writer @weasleybean on twitter, she helped come up with some of these ideas :)

Cedric had been acting really weird the past week. Every time Fred tried to hang out with him he would come up with some type of excuse. "Sorry Freddie, but I have to finish this charms research," or "I can't tonight, quidditch practice." No matter when or where, Cedric would decline.

This confused the ginger to no end. Just a few days ago the two boys were inseparable, laughing together and telling jokes. Now it seemed that the hufflepuff was avoiding him at all costs.

     Whenever Cedric thought about his tall friend butterflies let loose in his stomach.  He couldn't help but picture his mischievous eyes and smooth cheeks.  The feeling of being so close to him that night at the libraries sent his body into overdrive.  His stomach would churn and his head would swirl, his breath hitched and his cheeks would flush.

     These reactions drove him mad.  Cedric didn't understand why he felt these things, especially about his best friend.  He didn't want his heart to speed up whenever Fred was around.  He didn't want to stumble around his words when Fred threw him a lopsided smile.  Cedric didn't want to absolutely adore his best mate, but he did. 

     Cedrics uncontrollable feelings were the reason he was being so distant.  He thought that maybe if he had some space he could get over it, just like a simple crush.  The problem was that he couldn't get Fred out of his head.  No matter what it was, his brain would find a way to connect it to the gryffindor boy.  The more time he spent away, his feelings became more prominent, and he had to do something about it.

     Just the mere thought Cedric avoiding him made emotions bubble up in Fred's body.  He felt so disappointed and angry and, sad.  He wanted Cedric to pay attention to him, he wanted to see his smile when he laughed at one of Fred's stupid jokes. 

     The more he thought about it the more he became worried.  What if Fred was annoying him too much?  What if he didn't want to be seen with the infamous prankster? What if he had found somebody better?

     This was the breaking point.  The urge to punch something fought its way through his body. His vision blurred and hands started to shake. Turning down an empty hallway, Fred balled his hands into fists. His breathing was now I ever as he let out a strangled "Fuck!". He then started to punch the wall repeatedly.

Only stopping when the skin broke on one of his knuckles, he rested his forehead against the cool stone wall. As his breathing became normal and his heart stopped racing confusion made its way to the forefront of his brain. What the fuck was that Fred, he thought. His rage had gotten the best of him. But rage for what? That was the real question.

Cedric. That was the reason for his sudden outburst, but why? Fred has never felt an emotion this strong before and it scared him. It frightened him to what it could mean. It was the thought of his best mate with somebody else that did it. Then it clicked, Fred was jealous.

No I can't be jealous, I don't like Cedric like that. But he did, and he knew it. He knew how seeing his adorable smile made him feel. How little crinkles formed around Cedric's eyes when he laughed. How his heart skipped a beat when he called him Freddie. He knew that he fancied his best friend, but didn't want to admit it.

This is why when Cedric came up to talk to him for the first time in days he snapped.

"Hey Fred, look i'm so-", he didn't even get through his sentence when Fred sneered angrily at him. "Oh, now you come talk to me? Have you got nothing better to do or have your new friends gotten sick of you yet? Did you bore them to death? Honestly, i'm glad you've moved on from me, I don't think i could have handled it much longer"