One : Six

As the owls flooded the Great Hall the next morning, Harry's emerald eyes landed on a long, thin package carried by six screech owls. To his surprise, the rest of the students were also watching the owls, waiting to see whose package it was.

He was surprised when the owls dropped it right in front of him, knocking over his bacon. A split second later, another owl dropped a letter on top of the package. Harry ripped open the letter first and he was glad that he did so, because it read:

DO NOT OPEN THIS AT THE TABLE!
This is your new Nimbus Two Thousand. Oliver Wood will meet you on the Quidditch pitch at seven o'clock for your first lesson.
-Professor McGonagall

Giddily, Harry handed Ron the note, grinning widely as Ron gaped at it. They left the hall quickly, Harry carrying both the parcel and the eyes of the majority of the Great Hall.

Once they were halfway to Gryffindor Tower, Ron let out an envious moan. "A Nimbus Two Thousand! I've never even touched one."

Harry told him, "You can ride it some time. Maybe after my lesson with Ol---Wood." Feeling himself blush, he didn't notice Draco Malfoy had appeared, followed by Zabini, Parkinson, and a boy named Theodore Nott.

Draco asked, "What's that?"

"Nothing that has to do with you, Malfoy," Ron replied, glaring at the blonde.

Seizing the package from Harry, Draco felt it. "This is a broomstick. But. . .first years aren't allowed them."

Harry opened his mouth, trying to form some excuse, when Ron snapped, "It's not any old broomstick, Malfoy. That right there's a Nimbus Two Thousand!" He beamed at Harry. "You've only got a Comet Two Sixty, don't you, Malfoy? Comets look flashy, but they aren't in the same league as Nimbuses."

"What would you know about it, Weasley?" the blonde snapped back, his silver eyes like steel. Harry felt his spine tingle at the expression. "From what I've heard, your family isn't even able to purchase half of the handle on even a Comet Thirty Two."

Before Ron could open his mouth to retort, tiny Professor Flitwick came waddling over. He squeaked, "Not causing trouble, are we, boys? And girl," he added to Pansy Parkinson, who crossed her arms and harrumphed.

"Potter's got a broom, Professor." Malfoy pointed at Harry, causing the emerald-eyed boy to glare at him. Sorry, he mouthed, but he didn't look too sorry.

Flitwick turned to Harry, beaming. "Yes, yes, that's right. Professor McGonagall told me about the special circumstances. What model is it, Mister Potter?"

"Er, a Nimbus Two Thousand, sir." He tried not to laugh at the look of horror on Malfoy's face. He added, "And it's really thanks to Draco that I got it in the first place."

Harry and Ron continued their way upstairs, their laughter singing throughout the corridor, the confused and rage-filled face of Draco Malfoy fresh in their minds.

"Well," chortled Harry, "it's true, isn't it? If he hadn't taken Neville's Rememberall, I wouldn't even be on the Quidditch team."

A bossy voice came from just behind them, saying, "So I suppose you think it's a reward for breaking the rules?" Hermione was stomping through the common room, glaring disapprovingly at the parcel in Harry's hands.