Two : Four

The next morning, Draco didn't smile at Theo once, hardly even looking at him, wondering if he could hear Draco's thoughts. Given the events concerning him knowing of Potter and Weasley flying a car to school, Draco imagined he could do a lot more than see "visions".

The Great Hall looked particularly gloomy with the unchanged ceiling displaying a dull, cloudy day. On the bright side, the food on the tables made Draco's stomach growl. There were the usual flagons of pumpkin juice, milk, and water, tureens of porridge, plates overflowing with toast, bacon, sausages, and eggs.

Draco sat, loading his plate as Pansy looked up at the owls that had just flown in. "Are you waiting for something, Pansy?" he asked, raising a fine eyebrow.

"No. But, look what Weasley's gotten." She pointed across the Hall at the Gryffindor table and Draco saw that the orange-haired boy was holding a bright red envelope that had begun to smoke. "A Howler."

"From his mum," Theo whispered, seemingly to himself, but Draco heard. He shuddered, watching as Weasley opened it.

A shrill voice of a woman filled the Great Hall, making Draco's eardrums throb. "RONALD WEASLEY!" the Howler shouted and Draco saw Potter jump a foot into the air, ducking under the table. "I AM ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTED! HOW DARE YOU STEAL THAT CAR! YOUR FATHER IS NOW FACING AN INQUIRY AT WORK AND IT IS ENTIRELY! YOUR! FAULT!"

Students began to laugh at the redhead, who was flushed with embarrassment. The silverware was rattling and Draco could even feel his skull vibrating.

"IF YOU SO MUCH AS PUT ANOTHER TOE OUT OF LINE, WE WILL SEND YOU STRAIGHT HOME!" The Howler blew a raspberry at Weasley before bursting into flames and the Hall erupted in boisterous laughter and Draco saw Weasley turn bright red.

But Draco didn't have time to laugh before Snape came striding over, passing out their timetables and Draco groaned when he saw that they had double Herbology with the Gryffindors first. "Great," he grumbled, "we've got to deal with those idiots for two hours."

"Or we can ignore them," Pansy said with an eye roll. "You know, like normal people do."

"Watch, they're going to pick a fight." Draco inclined his head in the direction of the Gryffindor table, scowling.

Blaise cleared his throat. "Or they're just going to sit there and pay attention and not obsess over Potter."

"I do not obsess over that---that imbecile!" Draco said hotly. "It's not my fault he wants to be all buddy-buddy with me. I keep telling him that we aren't friends. We'll never be friends!"

The four got up and were making their way to the greenhouses when Theo finally spoke. "Well," he began hesitantly, "it's not like you're gonna hate him forever."

Draco rounded on him. "What're you on about now?"

"I. . .nothing."

The blonde's mouth twisted into a scowl as they walked through the doors to the humid greenhouse, Professor Sprout, a stout witch that wore a frayed and patched up hat over her hair and her robes and fingers covered in so much dirt that Draco cringed and tried not to look at them, telling them to pair off. Draco grabbed Blaise and they stood in front of a pot.

Draco was struck silent when Gilderoy Lockhart entered, his robes of turquoise with gold trimming, his golden curls effortlessly bouncy. Draco inhaled sharply, his silver eyes drawn to Lockhart in a way he couldn't quite explain. But. . .he could explain it.

It was like he was a forbidden treasure to a vicious pirate, he wrote in his journal that night. I couldn't look away. He was so handsome. No, maybe that word doesn't fit. He's a complete dolt, but I can't deny how his peppy attitude drew my attention.