07 | before we intersected

PRESLEY QUESTIONED WHAT life that involves love felt like. Despite numerous people telling her they love her or what not, she couldn't bring herself to believe them. So because of that mentality, when someone shows their love to her, she turns a blind eye to it and just thinks that person is outright lying to her.

     Shifting in her bed, she can't seem to drift to sleep. Her eyes dart everywhere in the dark room, the moonlight shining through the window above her bed. She thought about forcing herself to shut her eyes to sleep, but no matter how much she tried she can't seem to do so.

     Sitting up from her bed, she slips into her loafers, grabbing an oversized coat and decided to go outside. She had no idea where she was headed to, she just knew she was walking, and winding through the halls of Welton Academy that were dimly lit by the moon's incandescence.

     It wasn't long before Presley heard foot steps that mirror her own. Picking up her pace, her breaths slightly ragged from anticipation until the foot steps reach her. A hand touches her arm, and Presley let out a small gasp as she turned to look around.

     She had to resist the urge to breathe out an exasperated groan as she met Neil's brown eyes that seemed to glow in the moonlight. The boy looks down at her with a concerned look, as Presley retracts her arm from his soft grasp rather harshly. "What now?" Presley whispered hastily. "Why does it always seem like you follow me around?"

     "I just happened to be outside my room, geez." Neil sighs exasperatedly. "Where are you going?" He asks. Neil's heart was racing as he resisted to let the excitement evident in his voice. By now, he was convinced Presley hated him, being persistent as he is and how he seemed to be everywhere she was, but that didn't stop him from befriending her though.

     "Nowhere." Was Presley's reply as she turns to walk away, but the persistent boy was quick to block her path as he was now in front of her.

     "Great, let's go." Neil grasps Presley's arm once more as he hurriedly ran down the stairs, bringing the girl behind him. Presley, as much as she was dying to resist, had no other choice but to follow the boy. They had managed to avoid Mr. Hager's trusted guard dog, and were out the doors of Welton.

     Presley's mind raced as she they picked up into a jog towards the woods. Her eyebrows were furrowed in confusion and slight annoyance. She hated the way he was grasping her arm, the way he grasped it was not harsh, in fact it wasn't harsh at all, despite holding on to it while running.

     They had reached a clearing now. At first, Presley thought he was trying to take her to the cave, but not at all. They were going an entirely different direction. They were still running until Neil slows down to a halt as he lead her to what seemed like a lake. The water was serene, as he walked over to sit on a board walk. Presley wondered how he found out about the lake, but decided not to question it.

     Neil had let go of Presley, making her sigh out of relief. The boy sat down on the board walk, and beamed up at Presley, who only gave him a questioning look. "Come on, sit down." He said, gesturing the space beside him. Blinking twice, Presley reluctantly obliges, sitting down at least a few inches from Neil.

     "It's beautiful, isn't it?" Neil says, his gaze now fixed on the serene scenery before them. Presley lets out a sigh as she turned to look at the scenery as well, much to her dislike.

     "You're so cliché." Upon this comment, Neil bursts out laughing as he turned to look at Presley, who kept her eyes on the lake.

     "What's wrong with being cliché?" Neil's mouth quirks up into an amused smile, turning to look back at the lake. Presley shakes her head as a response, her mind running a thousand miles per hour.