Prologue

*Zoe Madison*

I take a deep breath in through my nose, and out through my mouth as I gently tug on my hair as I grow frustrated with the math equation in front of me.

Math has always been something I have actually enjoyed, believe it or not. To solve something so complex and to focus on getting the right answer, to be sure not to make any mistakes. It was almost therapeutic.

When I told others this they just looked at me like I was insane. Why don't I just join a photography class or something and take close ups of flowers instead? No offense to everyone who loves photography, but math is just more my speed.

My foot gently taps up and down against the bench I sat on, my back resting against one of the arms, on to the beat of the music filling my ears through my earbuds.

I triumphantly smile when I finish the equation, mentally cheering at myself when I finish my homework assignment that was for the last course I chose to focus on today. I'll double check it later when my mind isn't so burnt out.

My phone buzzes with a text from the family groupchat, which does include my un-biological aunt, uncle, and cousin.

Milan: Did you guys hear about that new superhero movie coming out? An actor is finally announced

I roll my eyes, already bored.

Me: no one really stays up to date with movie actors besides you, so no, we didn't hear

Kimkim: Zoe, stop being so passive aggressive

Dad: scolding her before I can? Damn Kimmy, you did it again

Me: stop attacking me and my only decent personality trait

Piper: well I heard about it, and he's decently cute

I outwardly groan. As much as I love my cousin,, she's the type of girl to fall for any basic famous guy with decently attractive looks.

And she doesn't shut up about it either. Do you know how much of 'Zac Efron this' and 'Zac Efron that' I had to deal with, only for it to begin to change every once a month with a new guy?

I think Tom Holland lasted three months though. That was a record for her.

Milan: thank you Piper, for being the only cultured one.

I countdown in my head for the 'I only already know about him because he's cute' text in 3...

2...

Piper: he's attractive, and that's the only reason why I know and care about this

Bingo.

Me: predictable

Piper: only for you babe

Mom: you children have some guts for texting like this over the family gc

Me: well you can't really scold me since I'm off at college now :(

Mom: you wish I was there to scold you

Kimkim: back off Milo, she's an adult now

Milan: when Kimmy is the cool aunt ❤️

Kimkim: I'm your only aunt, don't try to play favorites

Me: well I gotta get back to homework, and I'm leaving before Milan can send a trashy meme, so talk to you guys later