46 | Emergency

Angel is italics | Jace is bold

"Don't you miss being that young?" My Dad asked as we watched Nicholas swim around his kiddy pool, having the time of his life. That toothless smile never left his face, not once as he occupied himself. My Mom went to Tampa to hang with her mother while Dad and I stayed back with Nick.

I faintly laughed, crossing my arms around my chest, "More than I should. Like, what do you think he's thinking about?" I faced my Dad as he kept a close eye on his son.

"I don't know. What we're you thinking about at that age?" He asked.

I vibrated my lips and hummed, "Probably how long I have to stay in the water to have my entire body turn into a prune." I stared off into space, "Dad?"

"Yes, sweetheart?" He waited for me to speak, but I clammed up.

Leaning back in the lawn chair, I said, "You were right." I exhaled, "Please don't give me the speech, I know."

"What do you mean?" He asked, "Does this have something to do with you being home for almost two weeks?"

I nodded, "Grant wasn't who I thought he was. Neither was Bella. I guess I put up a strong fight because I knew somehow you'd be right, but I had hope you weren't for once."

"Do you want to talk about it?" He asked, scratching his forehead. The sun was shining so bright; I had to squint my eyes. It's been breezy lately, but today, the sun was at full effect for some reason.

"No," I said, "But I can say that he was exactly how you said he would be."

My Dad groaned, "Let me ask you this. Did you learn anything from it?"

I vibrated my lips, "That I'm stupid and shouldn't rush things."

"You're not stupid; you're leaning."

I gasped, "You couldn't say that a few months ago?"

"When do I ever make anything easy?" My Dad kept his eyes on Nick, "When I met your Mom, I had no intention of a relationship. I guess I was a fan of the chase and her not throwing herself at me, but it turned into something else. When I left her, it was bad for both of us. When I saw her for the first time after leaving, she looked defeated. Not just because she was pregnant, but I did that to her. I guess I was worried about the same thing happening to you because I'll kill someone." My Dad joked as I smiled.

My eyes landed on my phone when it chimed. It was Jace.

Hey movie star, you want to come out with us tonight?

Who's us?

Bella, Grant, Brent, some other people, but all that matters is I'm going, and nothing is going to happen to you.

I'm not worried about anything happening to me. I just don't want to see them right now. I need space.

Can I tell you something?

If I say no, you will anyways....so?

I like Bella. And I'm not saying it like that; I'm saying it as I like you two as friends. Growing up, girls were always jealous of you, and that's why it never worked. But you two are meant to be friends. Besides, you need more people to hang with when I'm on tour or something. Fix it for me?

I don't know, Jace. Everything is going to be weird, and I have some figuring out to do myself.

And you'll get there. But don't beat yourself up about it. Bella needs you too.