60 | You Know What To Do

Grant Jansen
September 6th

"—You may now kiss the bride." The crowd went crazy when Dylan kissed his bride. I don't remember the last time I went to a wedding, but it was nice. The energy of everyone and the venue was beautiful. Brent and I have grown a strong bond since everything, and I'm happy for him. Even though his Dad came back in the picture, that didn't stop how he felt about Dylan. It was cool because weirdly, Dylan reminded us of Jace.

Over the past five months, I've been keeping busy. At least, I'd like to think that I am. I slowed down on all the parties and drinking until I didn't feel anything. Instead, I've been dedicated to my film work, improving by the day. I finished the small project I was working on that I needed to show Angel, but I have two indie films that should open doors for me in the future.

I've been traveling, exploring a few states outside of Florida. I never got the chance to drive around town, getting familiar with the area until now. I had so much time on my hands that I had to put to use.

I was there when my twin sister gave birth to a healthy baby boy. I remember the day she called me, telling me that her water broke. I never drove to the hospital so fast in my life. Being an uncle is a blessing because I can always give the kids back. I want kids of my own, but I rather wait until my life is secure. I couldn't be more proud of Bella because she's doing amazing. I wouldn't want her with anyone other than my man Brent.

My place has been great and private. It's nothing like having your own space without everyone breathing down your neck. I still go home to see my brother and parents, who are doing great.

I haven't talked to Angel in a while. We text every now and then, but I understand the journey she's trying to take. She wants to be a better version of herself, and I didn't want to get in the way of that. I know that losing Jace opened her eyes, and she didn't want any more time wasted.

As if she knew I thought about her, she looked back and locked eyes with me. This is the second time she lost herself, staring at me, but I didn't mind. I did the same thing. She wore a skin-tight red silky dress that hugged her curved body. I never doubted how beautiful she was, which makes everything harder because it seems like she's with that guy from the beach. They seemed close, touchy, and comfortable with each other. It was almost like she waited for me to smile, and when I did, she turned around. Almost like we were playing a game of cat and mouse.

I knew I fucked up. I knew I fucked up, letting her go when I never met someone like Angel. Now, I'm watching her smile in another man's face, and there's shit I can do about it. She deserves the world, and at the time, I couldn't give it to her.

My Mom placed her hand on my knee, breaking me from my trance, "You okay, G? We're about to get ready for the reception."

I slightly nodded, "I'm coming."

~~

It was a little after eight, and everyone was pretty much drunk, crowding the dance floor. Dylan and Bethany haven't sat down, pushing their foreheads together as they enjoyed each other. The parents were dancing, drinking while the kids ran around.

The reception was further down on the beach, surrounded by lights as the sun set.

But, there I was. I was sitting on a chair, gulping down the whiskey in my hands. I kept telling myself to keep my eyes off Angel as she danced with beach boy, but I couldn't, and it pissed me off. I'm the only one to blame. I shouldn't have waited so long to figure everything out. I guess she wasn't the only one that needed time.

I couldn't tell if she seemed happy. I mean, she had a smile on her face, and they seemed to have fun, but I don't fucking know. I don't know anything anymore.

I sat back in my seat with my legs cocked open when I saw Joey slowly walking towards me. I'm pretty sure he's probably here to bitch about me watching Angel, but it wasn't like that.

He silently sat beside me, adjusting his pants, "I know that look." He said, shaking his drink as the ice clinked against the glass.

I ruefully laughed, "What? The 'I fucked up' look?"

"I guess you can call it that." Joey laughed, "I had the same look when I was your age, and I had the same look for weeks because I fucked up. Deep down, I knew I couldn't live without Riley, but I was so stuck in my ways, I didn't want to admit it. Now, call me what you want, but she has me wrapped around her finger. The best decision I ever made in my life was letting go of what I was scared of, and I don't regret it." He said, waiting for me to respond.

I stared at the sand, finishing my drink, "Why are you telling me this? I thought you couldn't stand me." I shrugged, not caring. I felt myself falling off again, and I couldn't do that to myself.

Joey seemed surprised by my reply and cleared his throat, "I couldn't stand you because I judged you, I'll admit that. When it comes to my daughter, I can't help myself. I saw myself in you and couldn't handle Angel going through what I put Riley through. But then I realized, Riley gave me a chance. That was all that matters. Angel is going to do whatever the hell she wants to at the end of the day, but everyone gave us a chance. This is me, giving you that chance." Joey said as I remained silent for a second.

I clenched my jaw and swallowed, "I appreciate that, but it's too late. Regardless of what I want to do, Angel seems fine. I don't want to ruin that for her."

"Why do you think that?" He asked.

"Look at her," I said. As I looked up, she was dancing with her Uncle Dylan. She had that big smile on her face that I missed. I hated how downhill everything went after I thought it was going perfect.

Joey exhaled, "Looks like she's dancing with her uncle to me."

I laughed, "Why are you doing this?"

"I just want my kid to be happy. I never took the chance to get to know you when I should've. I know I'm wrong, and I apologize for that. I never saw Angel this way, and she broke a lot of rules for you, Grant. Just, whatever you do, don't hurt her. She has the biggest heart, and I think she gets that from her Mom."

"I don't want to hurt her, ever," I mumbled.

Joey placed his hand on my collarbone, "Well, can I ask you one question?"

As I looked up to him, he said, "How do you know Angel is the one for you?"

After thinking about the memories I shared with Angel and the crazy moments we've been through, I said, "Because I don't think anything makes sense without her."

"Then you know what to do."