☆𝓒𝓱𝓪𝓹𝓽𝓮𝓻 2☆

A/N: so uh I lied. I might do smut if I feel like it. just don't req it plsss. but still. I'm baby. also I hate this chapter and it took way too long to write so I'm sorry if you hate it but tbf I do too. anyways ignore me sjdks

Word Count: 1469

WARNINGS: none

Miss Grimshaw said I was to sleep with the other girls on the outer edges of camp.

"Now, I know that you're not frilly and clearly don't prefer dresses like the other girls," she said, "but you're going to need to participate in chores around here. I think starting off by helping the girls with their chores would be a good idea."

Now, I didn't want this woman to hate me, but I had to speak up. "Pardon me, ma'am, but I've been roughin' it on my own close on eight years now. I think I can run with the men."

"Now, girly, you'll do as you're told. If you wanna take it up with Dutch or Arthur, that's fine. I ain't in charge of who goes out robbing."

I threw my hands up in the air and went to go find Sean. When I finally located the redhead, I beelined towards him.

"Jesus, Sean, who knew Grimshaw could be so insane. It's only my first day and she's already goin' off on me for not working myself to death."

"Ah, yeah. She's like that most of the time," Sean cackled.

I slapped his arm. "Sean, seriously. It ain't that funny." However, I suppressed a smile. "I'm guessin' the only real issue I got with her is that she wants me to do laundry and mending, of all things. I been on my own for forever now; I could come robbin' with y'all!"

"I'm sure ya could hold your own. Grimshaw's a traditionalist, through and through. Dutch might be against the idea. After all, he's never had a woman become a regular gun. I mean there's Karen, but she only does a little bit of cons and guarding." His eyes went a little soft at the mention of Karen.

"Oh, you're sweet on her, ain't ya?"

"Adelia, shuddup. For all I know, ya got a man somewhere, and I'm not teasing ya about it."

"For the last time, I don't. And if I did, there's no way in hell I'm tellin' you, of all people. You run your mouth just about everywhere. Half the camp would know by now and I ain't even been here five minutes."

"Ya know," Sean said, changing the subject, "if you wanna prove yourself to Grimshaw, you could start by getting us more water from that lake over there. Arthur usually does that. It's also a good way to get 'im on your side."

"Right." I smiled. "Grimshaw mentioned he's one of the head honchos 'round here. He'd be a hell of an ally to have."

"Off you go then." Sean nudged me over to the camp cook's wagon.

I tied my hair back with a red ribbon to match my plaid shirt and strode over to Pearson's wagon, eyes searching for a bucket. As my eyes locked onto the bucket, a tanned hand picked the bucket up.

"Looking for this?" a man smirked.

It was the man from earlier.

"I—hello," I stammered, fighting the heat creeping to my cheeks. "Yes, I was. Thanks."

"I don't believe we've officially met yet," he said, a smile rising to his scarred face. "Javier Escuella."

"Addie Deiter." I stuck my hand out for him to shake it and he took it firmly in his grasp. "Well, Adelia. That's what Sean calls me, anyways."

"Huh." He cocked his head. "I like that."

"Uh, well, I'd better get to work."

"Of course." He handed the bucket over to me, and I immediately rushed away from the situation.