☆𝓒𝓱𝓪𝓹𝓽𝓮𝓻 6☆

A/N: time for some teaaaaaaaaaaa :D also sorry this took so long to get out, I've been doing online summer school and that's been kicking ass, but it's over now so I have more time to write! I suck at showing rather than telling but I guess it's something I'll work on for future books. thanks for over 100 reads btw <3

Word Count: 1888

Warnings: descriptions of gunfights, possible gore (dunno if it constitutes as gore or not oopsies)

Shit. Shit shit. How had the law gotten here so fast? All I knew was that we were knee-deep in trouble, and there was almost no way of getting out. I looked over to Dutch, hoping he'd have a plan, but I knew he wouldn't. There was absolutely no way to plan for this. He had this crazed look in his eye, one that would make you think he'd gone off the deep end once and for all. In a blink of an eye, Dutch pulled out his revolver and shot a young woman standing nearby. The bullet pierced her skull, and she collapsed to the ground.

Using the distraction Dutch had given us, I ducked behind one of the many crates on the boat. My hands were trembling, and I tried to steady them. I covered my mouth, trying not to puke.

How? Why? The questions swirled through my head. There was no warning. I pulled my Bolt Action off my shoulder and peeked out from behind the crate. The gunfire was deafening. I put a shot in near one of the lawmen, and I hit my mark. I couldn't help but feel a sense of pride at it.

We eventually cleared some space and pushed forward. The reek of the bodies was overpowering. Ground yourself, damnit. I continued to shoot, most of my bullets hitting someone. I felt a disconnect from my body as I struggled to reload my rifle. It seemed like someone else was controlling my body and I was watching from an overhead perspective. I felt Javier yank my arm and I snapped back.

"Addie, what happened? You almost got shot." Javier had a wild look in his eye.

"What's happening? Why am I being shot at? What did we do?" A haze surrounded my mind. Thoughts slowly started to come back.

Javier looked around, then pulled me towards a building. "Okay, we're gonna try to move. Follow me, I'll cover us."

We made our way to an alleyway where Javier whistled for our horses.

"Not expecting them to hear us, but it's worth a shot." The man shrugged. I turned from my cover and took down a few lawmen making their way over. We continued down the alley, keeping an eye out for anyone looking to jump us. Javier whistled again for the horses, and I finally spotted Boaz and Leo galloping over. The two of us hurriedly got on our mounts and spurred them out of town.

I glanced back and saw three lawmen hot on our tail.

"Heads up, Javier," I called. I turned around in my saddle and managed to get a headshot on the one closest to us. Despite the seriousness of the situation, I let out a whoop of joy as we took out the last lawmen tailing us. I thought I heard a pop right before I fired, but I dismissed it as nothing.

Oh, how wrong I was. I felt Leo begin to collapse underneath me.

No. No, after all this, this couldn't possibly be happening.

His legs gave out from underneath him and I rolled to the side, only to have a sharp pain stab me in my left arm. I'd been shot, too. I turned back to my faithful steed, tears streaming down my face.

"Thank you," I managed to get out between sobs.

"Addie, we need to go." Javier's voice cut through the onslaught of negative thoughts.

"I know." I hated to leave my horse, but we needed to get back to camp safely. I pulled my guns off my saddle and gave my horse one last kiss to his head before slowly pulling away. "I'll always love you. I'll never forget you." I almost choked on the words.