Chapter 13 - Only a Thief

"Liliana, I--"

"Liliana, I--"

How many days had it been since she'd seen her? Liliana stared at those dark eyes she thought she knew so well, and she wanted to ask so many questions. Was she sorry for what she'd said? Would she lie to her again if she asked about her past? The questions she'd been holding back since the day she'd arrived. But she felt small. Almost like a child, again. 

Again?

"You mustn't ask any questions, child. The world has always bowed to you, but now you must bow to the world." 

A younger, harder sounding Adeniyi spoke into her mind. It was another spark of memory--like a flint being struck. Liliana snuffed it out as her eyes wandered down to her former mentor's hands.

She felt Marc's hand find hers, and it grounded her. 

"Yi-yi," she whispered as her voice broke. "What do you have in your hand?"

"Captain Liliana," a different, melodic voice called from the doorway, and Liliana's stomach flipped. "I came as soon as I heard. You've been up all night, dearest. Why not just let the people of House Hawk handle the investi--" her voice cut short.

Lady Diana. 

The door into the chamber shut behind Adeniyi, and Liliana had the odd sensation that the walls of the library were closing in on them. 

"Why, Lady Adeniyi, what a surprise!" 

There was a shrill note of delight in the woman's words that sent shivers through Liliana's spine.

"Were you helping the young Captains with their investigation?" 

Even with her back to the woman, Liliana could hear the suspicion in her tone, dripping from every word. 

"Actually," Liliana spoke with more authority than she had in a long time, "she was about to tell me what she had in her hand?"

It was a question she would regret asking for the rest of her life.

She knew it as she watched a flash of alarm pass over her mentor's face and heard Hisashi's sharp intake of breath. She knew that she had miscalculated the second Adeniyi lifted a small vial up to the light.

The library, which had been her safe haven for so long, suddenly felt like a battlefield. Liliana felt like she was a pawn, caught between two queens. And she had chosen wrong. She knew it, deep in her heart. She knew she was wrong. 

Marc and Hisashi seemed frozen in time, unmoving as they watched the wolf advance toward her prey. 

And she watched her mistake unfold in slow motion as Lady Diana swept forward, gliding across the floor without so much as a word. Her floor-length satin dress flowed around her like a pastel blue cloud. 

Then, she took Adeniyi's hand in hers and wrenched the glass vial from her grip. Adeniyi's silence was deafening, and Liliana found it impossible to look at her.