Chapter 3

Trixie POV-

I honestly didn't expect Katya to actually show up at my table today. Figured she was nice but had better thing to be doing than sitting with me. But when I look up from my lunch she's across from me, setting down a red bull and a granola bar. "How are you?" She asks.

I shrug. "Fine. You?"

She shrugs too and looks down at her food. "Your the only person I've talked to that doesn't seem like they want to kill me."

"Tell me about it." I laugh. "Not all of them are that bad, you'll make friends."

"Who else do you sit with?" Katya says. "I can move seats or something if you need me to."

My cheeks go warm. "It's just me."

"Oh okay." Katya says. "That's actually relieving." She chuckles. "I really don't like meeting new people."

"You don't like meeting new people, but you transferred? Bold." I smile.

She takes a sip of the Red Bull. "Yeah I guess. I kinda had to. We moved states."

"Cool." I reply. I don't think Katya knows that I've heard that Ben knows her. He could be lying but I'm not sure how else he would've predicted her arrival. I don't mention it, she's been here for half a day, it's not time for heavy questions like that.

We eat in silence for a while, but it's not necessarily awkward silence. The other conversations in the cafeteria cover up any need to try and fill the area with sound of our own. It's just nice to have someone sitting across from me again. There is no guarantee she'll stay for more than today, but at least with her sitting there nobody is going to mess with me.

"So what do you like to do?" Katya questions.

I take my gaze from the table so I don't look rude. "I mean I guess I play the guitar sometimes. And I draw, but not well."

"Nice." She says. "I could never play an instrument. Do you sing too?"

Her question makes me blush. "Yeah, but only when I'm alone. What do you like to do?"

Katya smiles. "I do gymnastics."

"That's really cool." I say to her. "Where do you do it at?"

"I just found a little place down by the store that does dance and gymnastics. They don't do a ton because it's so small here, but I'm not good enough to compete anyways."

I feel myself grinning. "I'm sure you are. You have the body for it anyways." Did I just flirt with Katya? Darn. Didn't know I was rushing in that quickly. But, she is really pretty.

"I guess. It's just for fun." She continues. "All my friends from my old town were from gymnastics. I mean they were my friends. Anyway, my ex went there too, she's really good, going to nationals this summer I believe."

"Wow." I reply, keeping the conversation light. In my head I'm flipping out. Katya has an ex girlfriend. It feels too good to be true. Maybe it is? I don't mention it.

The bell seems to ring too soon. After two more classes I finally get to English, the last class of the day. Katya is sitting in a desk towards the back, peering down at her phone. As I pass her I knock her shoulder a bit and she smiles up at me. "Oh hey. It's you."

"Yes it is." I reply, heading to my desk in the front corner. I'm glad we have one class together. That should make it more bearable, especially because Jason sits in the seat diagonal to me. When Mr. Cornel starts taking attendance my hair is yanked from the back. I'm not dumb, I know it's Jason. "What are you five years old?" I whisper. "Who the hell pulls hair."