~1~

Illustrated by JAL                                                     Copyright © 2010 All Rights Reserved by 'Ephitania'

Queen Penthesileia watched the speck of land grow in size, she'd come to Troy searching for absolution in the horrible accident that had ended in her sister Hippolyte's death. How could she have made such a mistake? The scene played over and over before her, it prowled her sleeping and conscious mind...

ThermodonTerritory (Turkey)

"Go on Penthe and let that beautiful face of yours enchant the stag

"Go on Penthe and let that beautiful face of yours enchant the stag. Just one smile and you'll draw it right to us. "Antiope teased her Amazon sister.

"Ha...ha...Antiope very funny. Do you ever get serious?" Hyppolyte asked. "One of these days Penthe is going to turn that fierce spirit of hers on you, and then where will you be sister?" Hippolyte chastised. She watched Penthesileia closely, they shared a mother, she and Penthesileia but where her father had been a captured warrior, Penthesileia's father was Ares the God of War. It was a fact that neither she nor her sister talked about. Like most gods, Ares rarely visited his daughter but he made sure she was outfitted for every battle.

Hippolyte smiled serenely, she was ever the peace maker, trying to placate her sister, "Penthe, we're sorry. We promise to behave, like the good little Amazons we are. Antiope, you and Cietra herd the stag from both sides and I'll move around to head it off and push it toward Penthe."

Penthesileia chuckled, "I guess you've chosen to hunt Lyta. I'll block its advance. With the favors of

Artemis we'll have boar for the celestial feast after all."

Following her sisters, Hippolyte threw over her shoulder as she disappeared into the dense foliage, "And what a feast is shall be my Queen!"

~~~~~~~

The Aegean Sea

"My Queen! We make land soon

"My Queen! We make land soon." Bremusa informed Penthesileia. She like her sisters had chosen to accompany their Queen to Troy. While their Queen always stood on the side of justice, the Amazons knew that this campaign was more than a course to see Troy's victory over Agamemnon's marauding forces. This was a search for absolution in the death of her sister. The Erinyes had been torturing Penthesileia from the moment the spear had left her hand during the hunt.