~4~

Achilles stood at the water's edge. Speaking quietly he called out, "Mother I need your help" he watched the azure waves swirl into a foaming whirlpool, the water rising into a shape, swirling until his mother Thetis, the goddess of the sea stood before him.

 Speaking quietly he called out, "Mother I need your help" he watched the azure waves swirl into a foaming whirlpool, the water rising into a shape, swirling until his mother Thetis, the goddess of the sea stood before him

"Yes my son?" Thetis stared in awe at her son; tall, bronzed and magnificent, he was her pride. "What do you need?"

"I need your healing touch on someone I injured on the battlefield." He answered, reaching out for her hand.

Thetis frowned. It was unlike her son to hedge, he was usually straight forward, giving her all the information.. Who was this 'someone'? "You want me to heal an enemy?"

"She's not an enemy..."

"She?"

"An Amazon." Achilles answered, still keeping the name.

Thetis eyes lit, an Amazon...finally a woman worthy of her son. Floating from the water, she reached for his hand, allowing him to guide her from the waves. Stopping in front of her son, she reached up to caress his smooth, sculpted jaw line. "Take me to her."

Achilles led his mother back to the tent, passing his men who all stood in awe at the sight of the goddess as she passed. Ignoring the men Achilles opened the tent's flap for his mother. Entering behind her, his eyes moved to the still form on the bed. "She has been like this for days. She will not wake."

Thetis moved to the bedside, stopping suddenly her breath hissing through her clenched teeth. "The daughter of Ares? Achilles...what in the heavens have you done boy?!" Eyes wide she turned back to inspect Penthesileia. She noted Penthesileia was barely breathing.

Though well grown, the tone of his mother's voice made him feel as if he were a boy of ten needing to defend himself. "It was a fair battle mother. She almost took my head off twice and near gutted me. I merely hit her with my shield. I thought the wound would have healed by now."

"The shield of Hephaestus?" Turning back to her son, a look of horror on her face. The metal of Hephaestus was indestructible no force on earth could destroy it. "With your strength and that metal, you would have killed her instantly if not for her father's blood." Moving back to Penthesileia's side, she kneeled and carefully removed the bandages that circled her head. Gently probing the open, oozing wound above the Amazon's left ear, Thetis took note that her son had kept the wound clean. Given Penthesileia 's parentage the demigoddess should have healed by now, but because of the lethal combination of Achilles and Hephaestus, the daughter of the God of War lay near death. Sighing more in fear for her son than any other reason, she shook her head and looked up at her son, "I cannot heal this."

"Mother?" Achilles couldn't believe the words that were spoken. His lungs burned and his chest tightened. "Please..."

Reaching up to comfort her son, "I didn't say that I didn't want to. I said I couldn't." Pushing a strand of golden hair behind his ear, she realized just how upset he was or he would have never allowed the gesture. His mind was definitely on the injured woman in his bed. Thetis took note that her son was no longer using his field tent but the tent of the Myrmidon Kings; was the Amazon Queen the reason? She had an idea but knowing her son, he wouldn't like it. "Call Ares, now. He can heal this."