"The Soulless Dooms-Day's" first NEVER title defence!

[Note: I know the title he's holding in the picture above is not the NEVER Openweight Championship, but you can imagine that's how he'd cling onto the NEVER title on his way to the ring and afterwards]

To say that Archangel wasn't excited to find out who he was fighting tonight would be wrong. Although he did hide his excitement disconcertingly well - he was more than ready to figure out who his first challenger for the NEVER Openweight Championship would be tonight...even though he'd only held the title for nearly a couple of weeks by this point.

In fact he would have probably defended the title sooner if he didn't have a couple of prior commitment matches in ROH and DDT Pro-Wrestling at the time...well, that and he hadn't been booked for prior shows anyway.

What Damon didn't know right now though was that he was going to be in for the fight of his life! If his battle with 'The Dragon' Shingo Takagi had pushed him to the limit in order to win the NEVER title...then this next opponent for his first - but hopefully not his last - title defence would push him beyond his limits!

He looked at his phone when he noticed he had gotten more than a few texts as he entered the venue. Two were from Alexa and Bayley - both of whom wished him luck - and the third was from his mum, who was speaking on behalf of herself, his dad and his sister - all of whom were wishing him luck and were looking forward to seeing him next in the match and in general in either their next visit or his.

His family had supported his wishes for wanting to move to Japan whilst he's mostly working in Japan, and they promised they would visit him when they could, or do a live chat or video call thing when they could...which meant that Jason would need to learn how that works....hmm, that should be fun for him.

But it was the fourth text that had peaked his attention the most, and even affected him in a way that only his family and a rare few ever manage to...it was from his brother, Jack Shadow, who he had not seen in either 8 months or a year - the days, weeks and months all blurred together with Archangel, so it could be one or the other and he'd never be able to tell.

Although he had been rather close with his family after being brought into the family, Jason and Jack had been practically inseparable together. Although neither had seemed like it when they were younger - when they were growing up, they were the ones that bullies either feared or backed away from, regardless if they were alone or together. 

That also made Jack's departure to go train and eventually join in the military, and then either being stationed in different places for god knows how long at a time, even harder to bare at times.

The text was a recording, and he knew that if he looked at it now then he would never be able to get back into the right mind set he needed to both be Archangel, or be at his best when he competed tonight. Though it appeared that Jack knew this too as there was a little message above the clip saying 'Have a look after your match.'

He couldn't help but chuckle a little bit at that. 'You always were thinking ahead, weren't you...' he mentally thought to himself, before going to prepare what little other touches he had left to do for the match and show tonight.

Later On:

The crowd waited eagerly and excitedly for the matches that were going to occur tonight. There was also talks that the New Japan Cup could be starting some point in the near future. Archangel himself didn't really have any interest in the New Japan Cup: 1. Because he'd much rather face those in the New Japan Cup in matches outside of the tournament, and 2. Well...he's a Junior Heavyweight, despite his height.

As the event went on - Archangel sat in a corner as he mentally prepared, his eyes closed as he waited. He only briefly glanced up during the waiting time when he heard a cough from someone who was becoming an ally and, slowly, a good friend more and more as time went on - 'The Switchblade' Jay White.