Ch. 1

"Okay so you're going to call me when it happens, right? I mean you should call me, like right when it happens" Scott bounced on the balls of his feet as he and his best friend walked home. Stiles was trying to play it off like it wasn't a big deal, keeping his eyes locked on his feet, but who was he kidding. He had turned sixteen that day, which meant that soon his soul words would appear somewhere on his skin. Of course he'd been hopeful since the minute he woke up. All throughout the day he'd mistaken every little itch and ache on his body as the start of the daunting process to come. Every person dreamed of it, they yearned for it, those words were supposed to be a constant reassurance that someday someone out there would mutter those destined words to you and you just knew, you knew you would never be alone again. Or at least that was Stiles' take on it. Perhaps it was the fact that on more than one occasion he'd felt like he'd end up on his own. He truly only had Scott and his father. And someday Scott would finally decide to get a life of his own, and his father... well he wouldn't always be around.

So yeah, Stiles probably clung to the idea of a soul mate a little too much.

Scott's house was within his sights and Stiles smiled to himself "Yes Scott. Although I don't know when that will be"

"It doesn't matter. You were there when mine appeared, and since you refuse to let me come over I have to settle for hearing it over the phone. So don't forget" Scott was adamant, having had received his words just two months before Stiles, and his ears would perk up every time anyone new came his way. They were proudly out for display, wrapped beautifully around the side of his neck. He had developed a habit of rubbing them when he was nervous or anxious, they offered a release Stiles was excited for.

"I promise buddy. You'll be the first person I call" Scott searched his eyes, looking for any source of doubt. Presumably he hadn't found any because he eventually hugged the skinny boy goodbye. Stiles hadn't even heard the door latch closed before he was sprinting down the street on his way home. He didn't know what to expect, they tell you about it in school, how the words feel etching themselves onto your skin. They never tell you how you feel the first time you read those words, how you feel processing every letter and understanding that there is someone out there for you. Stiles had always felt like the outlier around all his friends, he was anxious for the person who would make him feel like he belonged.

Stiles bounded through his front door eager to get upstairs. There was no regard for anything else as he weaved through the furniture trying to get to the stairs. He just needed to make it to his room and he could finally breathe. Instead, he was stopped abruptly by his father who was already blocking off the staircase. Stiles stumbled back, looking at the man as he wondered where he had appeared from "Easy there"

"Dad-" Stiles tried weaving around him, irritation present all throughout his body language.

"I know you want to hurry up and see your words. I just want to make sure you aren't freaking out too badly"

"What? Who? Me? I don't freak out" all his father did was lift an eyebrow and Stiles was caving. His defensive stance fell and he relaxed his shoulders. The breath that fell from his mouth was long, and one he honestly hadn't felt like he'd been holding in. "Okay. Yeah, I'm scared dad"

"I know you are-" he placed a hand on each shoulder looking into his son's eyes. Stiles could see his own soul words that crawled up his forearm "you look like sunshine" his father had in fact had a sunburn and his mother was making a joke but to an unknowing person it was more of a beautiful first line and less like a joke. Claudia had been gone five years, but her words stood strong and permanent along his fathers skin. Stiles always wondered how his father went on, but had the common curtesy not to ask. His one chance was gone, how do you ask someone if they'll try to move on. Stiles shook his head, zeroing in on his father talking once again "-but I tell you, it will be so amazing. They're already out there, you've just got to remember to breathe"